• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

As requested by the Anaconda Evolution thread, I figured we could really use a thread for those of us Arrow fanboys on the site to discuss some of our favorite rides, their pros and cons, or even their potential demise and replacements.

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#2 CPF

CPF

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

Haha, I knew it was coming. I want to join the club! :)

Posted Image

#3 Nessie

Nessie

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:50 PM

I'm joining! #2 and #3 are Arrow! Woo inovation! Not much else to say.
Posted Image
Up to 61 coasters, 128 mph and 456 feet

#4 FairyRose

FairyRose

• Banned
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

Ha, I have a Arrow inspired poem.

Anyways, more suspenders. Please, I just wont to ride one again T_T

I wounder if arrow made a "Make your own arrow kit"

Probably comes with pipe cleaners.

#5 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

Honestly, one of the first things that drew me to Arrow's was the history of the company. The steel coaster, the high capacity mine trains, the first steel inversion, the first multi-looper, the first hyper coaster, the first 4-D. They were the B&M of their day.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#6 Coasteridiot

Coasteridiot

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

I'd call myself a fan of Arrow. While they are not my favorite company, I think they definitely would have been about a decade ago (they remind me a lot of Intamin, which is my favorite company).

My favorite Arrow is X2. Even though it's sort of S&S, I still count it as one of Arrow's coasters and it is a great ride, also one of only three coasters that I give a 10/10.

Magnum XL-200 is another Arrow coaster I love. The air-time is insane (best I've experienced) and the ride is very intense and fun. It may look like your typical Arrow/Morgan Hyper, but it definitely is not.

The other Arrow's I've been on, in order from best to worst:

3. Gemini – Cedar Point
4. Ninja – Six Flags Magic Mountain
5. Desperado – Buffalo Bills
6. Matterhorn Bobsleds – Disneyland
7. Viper – Six Flags Magic Mountain
8. Vortex – Kings Island
9. Corkscrew – Cedar Point
10. Demon – California's Great America
11. Canyon Blaster – Adventuredome
12. Adventure Express – Kings Island
13. Gold Rusher – Six Flags Magic Mountain
14. Flight Deck – Kings Island
15. Iron Dragon – Cedar Point
16. Psycho Mouse – California's Great America
17. Cedar Creek Mine Ride – Cedar Point

I've also ridden Phantom's Revenge, but don't count it as an Arrow.

Even though I don't have them rated as highly as other Arrow coasters, I'm a big fan of their mine trains. CCMR is a dud, but Gold Rusher and Adventure Express are a lot of fun. Some of their other mine trains look very good as well; these new Vekoma's can't compare.

#7 Brad

Brad

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

Heh... put me up at the top of the most obsessed list!
Posted Image

#8 krosscoasters

krosscoasters

Peta-Coaster Member

• Junior Staff
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

I've taken an interest to Arrows lately, but I'm not a fanboy considering the only Arrow coaster I've ridden is Trailblazer @ HP. In my opinion, Arrow was... mostly innovative, in their best years at least. The only thing is, is that when Arrow built their multi-loopers, each one had the exact same elements, just in a different order with different transitions. (Awkward transitions, to say the least) Eventually, the typical Arrow looper would have at least one loop, a batwing, and a double corkscrew, with maybe a few turns or two. Arrow seemed to lose their innovation, since for whatever reason it was the same thing over and over... the loops were even the same size. Whether it was the fact that they were playing it safe and using what they knew they perfected, considering the lack of computers in the 80's, or they were just lazy as some people think (I don't), either way it was a major weakness that ended up getting them nowhere. And when they weren't using the same loops, they were making awkward helixes that consisted of a flat turn, a downward turn, then another flat turn. I mean, I know they were playing it safe, but there has to be some sort of middle ground! Just look at what they did on Anaconda and Titan V! Yet, it's this simplicity that makes them interesting, albeit quirky. Sorry I went on so long...
Posted Image

#9 coasterkid96

coasterkid96

Kiddie Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

I love riding arrows despite what a lot of people say about head banging. I mean they have intense air time and intense g's.

But my top five arrows would be

1. Anaconda- KD
2. Big Bad Wolf-BGE
3. Gemini-CP
4. Corkscrew-CP
5. Lochness Monster-BGE
Im a ride warrior. Ride on

#10 Irish Coaster

Irish Coaster

Giga-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

Brad must love this thread

Anyways, I consider myself a fan of Arrow. When I visited Busch Gardens Europe, on my first day, I rode Loch Ness Monster, my first looping coaster, and I couldn't help but to love it. The first drop, insanity. The interlocking loops, the hangtime and the interlocked loop make them to this day my favourite inversions. As well, the tunneled helix was a fun addition. The next day, I did an insane marathon on it, in the rain. Quite possibly one of the highlights of my life. That day, I also rode Big Bad Wolf. I loved it as well, but I found it a little jerky. However, they did a great job on the helix and the second drop. I was in shock when they decided to close it, knowing I couldn't make it to Virgina to ride it for one last time.

However, my final and more recent experience with an Arrow was not a pleasure. The Canobie Corkscrew, which I rode just a month later, was dreadful and admittedly, I hated it. It was rough, gave me a headache, and the only good point I could find was the first drop. It was three years before I would ride it again. I could not believe I was actually riding it again, and it turned out to be worse. The first drop wasn't good, the ride got rougher, but I didn't get a headache. There were no good points that time, and not even the General Public liked it.

I would describe my relationship with Arrows coasters as alright, but I still think that Arrow is a great company and I have tons of respect for them as they countless times innovated the industry, just like Mauer Sohne and Intamin are doing today.

Edited by Irish Coaster, 01 December 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#11 steel-Rock

steel-Rock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:13 AM

Gemini is the best overall.

Tennessee Tornado is the best multi loop.

Big Bad Wolf is (was) the best suspended.

Mine trains are a good credit when the big coasters are making your head spin or have long lines. Road Runner Express (SFFT) is the best of those by a mile.

I really, REALLY, REALLY need to ride X2 !

NO FEAR !!         Goliath (SFOG) Intimidator Millennium Force Leviathan Griffon

Thunderhead  Lightning Racer  Phoenix  Viper  Prowler

PARK COUNT = 60            BGW  Cedar Point  Kings Dominion  SFGAM  Canada's Wonderland

RIDE COUNT = 380            Newsboys  Switchfoot  Thousand Foot Krutch  Bride  Chevelle

#12 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

^Yes you do.

I really see it as a major shame that Arrow went out of business when they did, because they were finally starting to get really creative with things and starting to execute their rides better. Drachen Fire was a great new start for the company even though it ended up being scraped. But it was the start of Arrow using more safisticated computer aided design software for their rides. The perfection of that effort can still be seen in Tennessee Tornado. It's entire layout is entirely something that Arrow loopers of old could never dream of doing, with perfectly smooth transitions and inversions of varying (and large) sizes. And then there was X. Yes, it pretty much made them go bankrupt but what a ride, what an idea! I still view that ride as the single biggest leap in coaster technology in the history of the industry. Everything was just sort of a natural progression. Flyers might come close but even then, not really. I really wish the innovators at Arrow were still around today because I believe the would have been right alongside Intamin and B&M in terms of inginuity and general quality of rides.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#13 Vater

Vater

• Elders
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

I have a soft spot for Arrow. It's not quite as strong as my soft spot for Schwarzkopf, but close since many of the first steel coasters I rode were Arrows. Here's my ranked list:

1. Phantom's Revenge (technically a Morgan, but part Arrow)
2. Magnum XL-200
3. Drachen Fire
4. Tennessee Tornado
5. Big Bad Wolf
6. Loch-Ness Monster
7. Top Gun (now Flight Deck)
8. Dragon Mountain
9. Gemini
10. Anaconda
11. Canyon Blaster
12. Great American Scream Machine
13. Vortex (KI)
14. Carolina Cyclone
15. Python (Adventure World)
16. Iron Dragon
17. Corkscrew (CP)
18. Cedar Creek Mine Ride
19. Dahlonega Mine Train
20. Adventure Express
21. Runaway Train (SFGAdv)
22. Trailblazer
23. Mine Train (SFoT)
24. Goldrusher (Carowinds)
25. Python (BGA)
26. Corkscrew (MBP)
27. Mini Mine Train (SFoT)
Posted Image

#14 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Despite the fact that some are said to be falling apart and nearing the end of their lives, they still pack great thrill. My favorite is Demon in the fifth car (usually the best on Arrows) during Fright Fest. I also liked Iron Dragon after the second hill which was pretty smooth. One I hated was Magnum because it crushed my legs and jerked me around a lot.

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

#15 Jeremie

Jeremie

Kilo-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

Arrow
Python- Busch GardensAfrice
2. Cedar Creek Mine Ride-Cedar Point
Corkscrew- Cedar Point
Magnum XL-200- CedarPoint
5. Iron Dragon- Cedar Point
Gemini Track 1- CedarPoint
7. Gemini Track 2- CedarPoint
Viper- Darien Lake
9. Matterhorn Bobsleds-Disneyland
Sidewinder- ElitchGardens
Demon- Six Flags GreatAmerica
Gold Rusher- Six FlagsMagic Mountain
Ninja- Six Flags MagicMountain
Mine Train- Six FlagsOver Texas
Runaway Mine Train- SixFlags Great Adventure
16. River King Mine Train-Six Flags St. Louis
Trailblazer- Herhseypark
18. Anaconda- Kings Dominion
Big Bad Wolf- BuschGardens Europe
Loch Ness Monster- BuschGardens Europe
21. Adventure Express- KingsIsland
Flight Deck- Kings Island
Vortex- Kings Island

24. Corkscrew- Michigan'sAdventure
25. Mad Mouse- Michigan'sAdventure
Corkscrew- Valleyfair
Excalibur- Valleyfair
Mad Mouse- Valleyfair

Out of all these arrows. I got to say I love Suspended. No other company does them, or at least as close, like Arrow does. Big Bad Wolf and Flight Deck have amazing turns and really gave me a thrill. I also love Magnum XL 200. It is like no other hyper. Truly unique. And I love mine trains, they are also unique. Nothing like them around.

1z6sarn.jpg

#16 steel-Rock

steel-Rock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:59 AM

^Yes you do.

I really see it as a major shame that Arrow went out of business when they did, because they were finally starting to get really creative with things and starting to execute their rides better. Drachen Fire was a great new start for the company even though it ended up being scraped. But it was the start of Arrow using more safisticated computer aided design software for their rides. The perfection of that effort can still be seen in Tennessee Tornado. It's entire layout is entirely something that Arrow loopers of old could never dream of doing, with perfectly smooth transitions and inversions of varying (and large) sizes. And then there was X. Yes, it pretty much made them go bankrupt but what a ride, what an idea! I still view that ride as the single biggest leap in coaster technology in the history of the industry. Everything was just sort of a natural progression. Flyers might come close but even then, not really. I really wish the innovators at Arrow were still around today because I believe the would have been right alongside Intamin and B&M in terms of inginuity and general quality of rides.

Yea, you hit it right on with all of that. These Arrow's were are all good (especially considering when they were built) :
16. Gemini
39. Magnum XL-200
46. Loch Ness Monster
53. Anaconda
62. Big Bad Wolf
64. Road Runner Express (SFFT)
83. Vortex (KI)
99. Iron Dragon
100. Matterhorn (DLR)

They could all be ranked heigher but B&M, Premier, GCI, and Intamin seem to take over so much of my favorites. Most of the mine rides are a lot of fun but they are mostly "family rides" (ranked above the lemon adult ones and the kiddies). In general, the company needed to work on restraint comfort but did really well with innovation and diversity.

NO FEAR !!         Goliath (SFOG) Intimidator Millennium Force Leviathan Griffon

Thunderhead  Lightning Racer  Phoenix  Viper  Prowler

PARK COUNT = 60            BGW  Cedar Point  Kings Dominion  SFGAM  Canada's Wonderland

RIDE COUNT = 380            Newsboys  Switchfoot  Thousand Foot Krutch  Bride  Chevelle

#17 Shadowblur93

Shadowblur93

Kilo-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

I too would happen to be an arrow fan.

By the way, anyone else notice the similarities with Arrow and TOGO?

Both started around the 50's
Both were the most popular ride company in their country at a time
Both built steel coasters
Both built hyper coasters
Both came up with great new innovations the coaster world wouldn't be the same without
Both built attractions that were somewhat rough
Both built 2-across sit-down looping coasters
And sadly...
Both met their demise by producing a ridiculously terrible ride and having their butts sued off by the buyer
And happily...
Both live on through an even larger, better company (Premier Rides bought plans for many of TOGO's coasters)
Posted Image

...and suddenly nothing was real anymore as the world turned to a blur around you as you careen over the edge of reality and into infinity.

Shodowblur93

#18 CPF

CPF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

Do you really think X was that much of a failure? I thought it was awesome...

Posted Image

#19 Brad

Brad

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

^^Many of TOGO's engineers now work for Premier, actually.
Posted Image

#20 Shadowblur93

Shadowblur93

Kilo-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

Do you really think X was that much of a failure? I thought it was awesome...

I've actually never been on it and I don't mean as far as ride experience, I mean as far as manufacturing quality...it was down most of its first season, which did not make Six Flags happy.

I, like most, think it looks absolutely AMAZING! However, I would pass up WindJammer any day (that is if it still existed)

Edited by Shadowblur93, 14 December 2009 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

...and suddenly nothing was real anymore as the world turned to a blur around you as you careen over the edge of reality and into infinity.

Shodowblur93

#21 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

Thought I'd go ahead and post my Arrow rankings.

• X2
  • Viper (SFMM)
  • Shockwave
  • Flight Deck
  • Big Bad Wolf
  • Tennessee Tornado
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Vortex
  • Adventure Express
  • Demon
  • Matterhorn Fantasyland Side
  • Matterhorn Tomorrowland Side
  • Python
  • Ninja (SFMM)
  • Dahlanega Mine Train
  • Gold Rusher

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#22 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

Here is my rankings...

• Demon (SFGAm
  • Iron Dragon
  • Gemini
  • Magnum XL 200
Sad I know. Hopefully I'll get more next year.

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

#23 Nessie

Nessie

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

^I'm curious with those rankings. I've heard mostly good from Gemini and Magnum, but nothing good at all about Iron Dragon. Care to explain?

1. Losh Ness Monster
2. Big Bad Wolf (it's close)
3. Iron Dragon
4. Cedar Creek Mine Ride
5. Corkscrew

That is half of all my coasters...now you see why I like Arrow!
Posted Image
Up to 61 coasters, 128 mph and 456 feet

#24 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

I really like the classic feel of Iron Dragon and its uniqueness. That second drop always gets me too. I find it pretty thrilling for such a smaller ride. Magnum I didn't find fun at all, but rather extremely painful to my legs. Gemini was OK, but really bumpy.

#25 HCL

HCL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

1.LNM2.Gemini

3.BBW
4.Corkscrew
5.Iron Dragon
6.Magnum