• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 CoasterBGW

CoasterBGW

Server Admin

• Admin
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:23 AM

As we continue focusing on transforming our forums into a comfortable setting for members to join and share their thoughts and interests, we would like to announce a major new addition to the boards. Beyond the Rides is our new general discussion forum, unveiled as a forum for discussion expanding beyond the world of amusement parks and thrill rides.

In the past, we have avoided introducing general discussion due to our unlimited posting base and the inevitable results of allowing unrestricted posting in an area with a propensity to focus on undesirable discussions. However, we have faith in the maturity of our members, and want to emphatically stress the fact that we will have an absolute no-tolerance policy when it comes to discussions that will transgress our rules in any way, shape, or form.

We encourage members to share their thoughts on hobbies transcending the world of coasters, to express opinions on the world, and to share items of interest. On the other hand, we will not tolerate any form of posting that goes against the COASTER-net spirit and ideals. You can feel free to discuss your favorite bands, provided that you demonstrate complete acceptance for opinions other than your own. You can feel free to discuss your political stances, so long as you don't turn the boards into harsh politics themselves.

However, you MAY NOT discuss age-inappropriate themes. Post with caution, knowing that our audience, which is comprised of all age groups, will be reading every word you type. You MAY NOT discuss sexuality in any shape or form. You also MAY NOT take part in any discussion that brings you down to the maturity level of our youngest viewers. You are expected to set an example for the younger audience, and that means respecting any and all fellow members.

That said, we hope that everyone benefits from the new forum, and we hope that it leads to betterment of all your friendships around the site.

After a couple of days experimenting with the ‘Beyond the Rides’ forum we will be implementing some new regulations for topics and posts. The main thing is we will not tolerate any meaningless posts. Posts that do not add meaningful insight to the topic will be deleted. We will also not be allowing anymore “Rate the…above me” topics.

Bottom Line:
- Posts without meaningful insight will be deleted
- "Rate the...above me" topics will be deleted

#2 Homer

Homer

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

Wow, pigs actually flew today...

With that said, I welcome this addition. Its a LOT better than looking at a persons profile for their interests, although we do have one thing in common, coasters.

#3 Kraken

Kraken

The ocean always gets wet when it rains.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Well us admins have been in talks about it for a while, bet you didn't see it coming though. And if we have gone this far already, who knows what might come next. ;)

Please don't abuse it though, we have added it to expand the community, not create a spam breeding ground. We do stand the right to revoke it at anytime if it doesn't work out.

Enjoy though...

#4 Wood Dragon 1988

Wood Dragon 1988

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

Quite honestly, I don't know if I like this. I just hope that the main forums are the ones that do have to do with coasters and amusement parks.
end

#5 BJ KoasterKooK

BJ KoasterKooK

• Elders
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

I have to echo coasterfan42's statement; "quite honestly, I don't know if I like this." While it's nice to have the option of sharing & discussing on topics other than "coasters", I'm a bit concerned that this will move this site into an even more focused on "teens" site as I'm already seeing with both the topics and the fruit thereof.
As one of the "older" guys on this site who've actually enjoyed and learned much from these forums, I now don't believe my input on most of these "beyond the rides" topics would fit in, much less be understood by most of the younger crowd here.
On topics like Coke or Pepsi it doesn't really matter, but after looking at the "what do you do for work" forum, I may as well be on another planet since I'm a professional that actually has a career--who the heck is going to want to hear that? Maybe if I tell people that I work loadout at Sears for minimum wage, then you'all might relate to me.
Do you see what i'm saying? Coasters unite us all in at least one way--we all luv the thrill!! These other topics will not do the same for all, I understand its more fun for most, but it leaves folks like myself more often than not, on the outside. But thats certainly acceptable if it strengthens this site overall, so I hope it works out. ;)
Posted Image

#6 Kraken

Kraken

The ocean always gets wet when it rains.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

We have had a very mixed response to this addition. We added it to expand the community and enlighten members of what the others around them are like. In no way is it meant to disheart people. I think its recent popularity is to do with it only just being brought out. It should sink in with the rest of the boards within the next few days and do what it was designed to do, just work as a break from talking about coasters.

BJ KOASTERKOOK, out of all of the people with jobs, someone in your situation is most probably the most interesting to hear about. Like you said, a large majority of our community is made up of middle-aged teenagers and going up to the late teens, the sort of people just entering the world that youve already experienced (Not implying your old or anything ;) ). It shows that we do have a mixed age group, but that shouldn't put you off posting, everyones story is valued just as much as others.

But it's nice to see what peoples views are on the forum.

#7 James Ward

James Ward

Tera-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:20 PM

I dont know who thought of making this forum, but I think they did a good job.
Coaster count:70 Park Count:16 Park count 07:7, and mayb more.
Kristi<3 4/27/07<3

#8 Wood Dragon 1988

Wood Dragon 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

I think if the staff keeps the rules tight, that it will be fine in the long run. As Kraken said, I think that the burst of enthusiasm about this forum will die down soon, and the main focus will be on coasters.
end

#9 Guest: Grand Admiral_*

Guest: Grand Admiral_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

To be honest I don't like this forum. I believe this site should be only dedicated to coasters, rides , and parks. Nothing personal ,but it really cheapens the name of this site in my opinion.

#10 CoasterBGW

CoasterBGW

Server Admin

• Admin
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

It is by far the most requested feature that your peers have suggested. We are trying it out; if it doesn't work then we can still remove it.

#11 BJ KoasterKooK

BJ KoasterKooK

• Elders
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:58 PM

Well Kraken; thanks for the encouragement, it's young guys like yourself and those who had the foresight, commitment, and vision to get this web site off the ground that have made COASTER-net.com as successful as it's become today.
As I stated, I do hope it works out, but I still believe overall it will cause more division than respected enlightenment of each others opinions, likes and dislikes outside of the coaster community.
Take for example the thread on Irans nuclear capabilities and the world wide ramifications thereof; after reading all the responses I couldn't believe how.....poorly ( had to choose my words carefully) most people (the public in general) understand and interpet whats really going on and at stake here.
Does anyone want an "older" guy with years of Religious and political studies to weigh in full force? Again, I don't think so, it would just label me as some arrogant know it all, so I know I won't add to that discussion. I'll stick to fav colas and more trivial topics like that over careers and Irans nukes--its safer and more fun, which is what this site ultimately needs to keep its focus on, agreed?
Posted Image

#12 Pierce Radecki

Pierce Radecki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:10 PM

Can't you guys just make it so the forum doesn't add to your post count? :huh:
Posted Image

#13 Coaster Sim. Fan

Coaster Sim. Fan

Community Customizer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

I really donít think this forum is going to distract from the community. Also peoples post counts I donít think are really going to go up that much ether. Just look at the few days its been open for and now it has around as many new post as the other topics on the forum. The only reason why there were so many new topics (with some useless ones (now take care of)) was that the forum was new to every one here and people have a tendency to use whatís new to them. As long as the moderators (including my self) keep this section up to par with the rest of the site in about a week or two we will probably all agree that this was a change that betters the community.

Hey BJ KOASTERKOOK I wouldnít mind hearing your views I truly believe that the more information and the more views you get on a subject the more you can formulate your own educated opinion.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Life is like a roller coaster. It's one wild ride with many ups and downs and all you can do is hold on and enjoy the ride. ~CSF~

#14 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

Its true that there is alot more that goes on behind the scenes to make COASTER-net great than what you can see. I'm just one of the more constant posters. Speaking of my posts, time for a shameless plug. If you haven't seen my RCT3 park Adventure Isles yet, go check it out. And please comment. B)

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users