• This topic is locked This topic is locked
587 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler M

Tyler M

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

For the previous topic click here. The reason why I started a new topic is for a few reasons. One is that the other topic seemed to lose interest as it looked like the park's future went hopeless without additions of Chang and such and two because it hasn't been posted in for a long time. Plus, the new era of Anderson could bring a lot to the third most popular Six Flags park in the nation as this is more of a whole new topic than what has been talked about in the previous thread.

With that said, let me get you up to speed on what has been happening as of late of added, removed, and replaced rides and attractions.

Ride/Attractions Added

-Little Dipper (Opened June 2010)

-MAGIQuest (2010-late 2010)

-Skytrail (late 2010)

-Riptide Bay (Opening late Spring 2011)

Ride/Attractions Removed or Relocated

-Country Fair Games (Replaced by MAGIQuest)

-MAGIQuest (Removed after the 2010 season due to lack of attendance)

-Great American Raceway (1976-2010)

-Bugs Bunny National Park (Rumored to be removed in the 2011 off-season to make room for a future attraction)

-Winner's Circle Go-karts (To be relocated elsewhere such as Yukon Territory to make room for the new Riptide Bay)

With the removal of the Great American Raceway and the possible removal of Bugs Bunny National Park clears way for two nice larger open spots for future attractions. For those who may not know, the former chute ride Splash Water Falls is actually the same area as the Great American Raceway and now that both are removed, you have a good size area to work with... especially if Demon is to be removed in upcoming years which is right next to both former attractions.

Edited by ttd rox, 21 February 2011 - 12:58 PM.

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

#2 Tori Finlay

Tori Finlay

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

Honestly, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that Six Flags Great America needs. I thought it was a fantastic park, and it is definitely very well rounded. I'm sure they could put more flat rides in, but what Six Flags park couldn't?
Posted Image

#3 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

Although it would hurt my feelings to see it leave, Demon isn't going anyway. Its a classic, and formerly iconic ride at the park, actually bears some theme, and is a good middle-ground coaster. Sure its got 4 inversions, but it isn't overly intense or thrilling.

For those hoping to see the park get a bigger thrill, keep your eyes on SFoG and their new Daredevil Dive this year. I think that SFGAm officials will be keeping close tabs to see how popular the ride is, how it fares at bringing in first time guests, and whether or not it has any significant downtime/capacity issues. The fact is that without removing rides, the park is pretty much out of space; but small footprint rides like a Eurofighter can provide big thrills in the more compact sizes that SFGAm actually has to work with. Not to mention, they're cheap.

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#4 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

It's my favorite ride during Fright Fest, but I still see Demon going. Maybe not in a couple years, but it's time is coming. I know they updated it's trains recently.

I would love to see a euro fighter and I agree that I don't see any moves towards a new major coaster but something to please the guests for years to come. With that I also see a new thrill flat coming within the next couple years so we will have to see.

Question: What is Trailblazer's former spot being used for except for Fright Fest now?

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

#5 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

Right now, its basically just storage.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#6 vinny

vinny

Kilo-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

I agree with Ryan that Great America could probably used a Eurofighter. Other then that i could also see the park getting some new flats the ones they have are getting kinda old.

#7 Vicarious Chair

Vicarious Chair

is ready for launch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

I don't see a point to get rid of Demon. There isn't many things you can put in the spot it is in, unless you get it custom fit.

We do need a couple more high thrillers... and AE needs retracking bad.

#8 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

^American Eagle is seriously in need of help. But when I was at the park last year, I got an interview with the head of their PR department and one of the specific questions I asked involved AE's condition. I noted the complete success of Carowinds' efforts to restore Thunder Road with the section-by-section retracking GCI did, but I was told there are no such plans for SFGAm's racer. Nor are their any intentions of running one side backwards again. They're just doing standard annual maintenance work and assuming that will be enough.

As for Demon, it does take up a reasonably large amount of space for the thrill it provides. Of course a replacement would have to be custom fit to the site but I see nothing wrong with that. But especially since the vacant Falls site is right next door and now they're removing the cars, there's plenty of room for a fantastic, large scale addition if Demon is removed.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#9 Tori Finlay

Tori Finlay

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:26 AM

^That seems kind of ignorant of them to ignore the problem with AE and not look for any sort of fix to the issue. I didn't hate the ride when I rode it, but I'm very optimistic about woodies. Considering how nice of a park that is, I'm surprised they haven't attempted to bring it up to par with the rest of the park.
Posted Image

#10 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

I agree that American Eagle needs some serious work. I would like to have a thrill like that around smoothly for hopefully another few decades to come. For some reason, even though Demon fits beautifully into its spot, I just don't see it around another 10 to 15 years.

#11 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Apologies for double posting but sources are confirming that Iron Wolf will be taken down by the end of this summer. Of course, this is just from Screamscape as found here. It's not too reliable but in all honesty it is more likely to happen then not to happen. It has been in talks of moving to Six Flags America and SFGAm will be receiving a new coaster next year. This will definitely be a big boost for being one of the busiest parks in America if all stays true.

#12 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net Insane Member

• Elders
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

The park president has stated the roller coaster "will be around for your enjoyment for years to come." This came out as a result of numerous emails by enthusiasts and park goers. While it is possible that the corporate offices have already made a decision on this why would they not inform the park president. That and why would he lie to customers when so much of what the amusement industry does revolves around money and the customers purchasing tickets and spending money in the park.

Screamscape once again lost a bit of respect in my book. The could be dead right about this, but accusing the park of lying and calling this a PR move to throw it under the rug is a bit much, especially when we don't really know for sure. "Sources" are not the be all end all. I respect that he trusts them but his tone was a bit frustrating.

In my opinion this makes no sense. They already have a bunch of room to build a new attraction, specifically a new roller coaster where Splashwater Falls used to be. Why get rid of a ride when it's not necessary? If this is true this has SFGAdv and the Great American Scream Machine/Green Lantern thing written all over it. Also, it's not going to SFA. At least I don't think it is for various reasons.

Though it looks like SFGAm may be getting a new roller coaster next year either way whether it be in Splashwater Falls' former location or in the Iron Wolf's current one. Personally, I hope it stays. That and I'm going to SFGAm for the first time in October, and I'd love to add the first ever B&M to the list of B&M's I've ridden. As soon as this is confirmed one way or the other regarding Iron Wolf I'm sure speculation for 2012 will start if it hasn't already.

2013 Agenda: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood, and Dollywood's Splash Country.
2014 Agenda: Kings Island, Beech Bend, and Dollywood. 

2015 Agenda Speculation: Carowinds and Holiday World and Splashin' Safari.
Coaster Count: 136 - Griffon Count: 52

#13 Matthew Rydzik

Matthew Rydzik

Server Admin

• Admin
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

There is one solid reason I see for its removal, low ridership. I have been the park 5 times this year and walked on the ride every time, including a couple 3pm on a Friday afternoon visits. The ride is downright painful.

#14 The BeastFan

The BeastFan

COASTER-net Supreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Would anyone be opposed to removing the 'Anderson Era' part of the title and make this the SFGAm future thread?

#15 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

^Please do Mike.

Iron Wolf's spot is still in need of a better attraction than anything that could go into SWF's old spot. The reason I say this is that the area where Wolf is now (end of County Fair/ Yukon Territory area) is in desperate need of an attraction that will bring more guests to that side of the park. Ever since Deja Vu left, County Fair has declined dramatically. Obviously Eagle gets its riders but what else? Revolution doesn't get many except on some summer days and then you are left with just Iron Wolf, excluding Fiddler which both don't bring much attention.

The back of the park has been more dead than past years with Yankee Harbor and Southwest Territories being the primary go to areas. If they add an attraction to both Wolf's spot and SWF's spot then you have a whole new park. Point is, County Fair needs to be shown some love with some exciting attractions as it did back in the day. How could I forget Demon, but once again it's usually a walk on ride. I'm not saying to spend a dozen million in new rides, but there are spots that need filling up.

Edited by ttd rox, 22 July 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#16 TexasCyclone

TexasCyclone

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

Screamscape once again lost a bit of respect in my book. The could be dead right about this, but accusing the park of lying and calling this a PR move to throw it under the rug is a bit much, especially when we don't really know for sure. "Sources" are not the be all end all. I respect that he trusts them but his tone was a bit frustrating.

I didn't see most of that in the post?

Maybe he edited it? And also it was the Guest Services that put down the rumor, not the President.

Posted Image
Coaster count: 122 - 104 Steel & 18 Wood :: RIP Astroworld 1968 - 2005

#17 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

I didn't see most of that in the post?

Maybe he edited it? And also it was the Guest Services that put down the rumor, not the President.

It was guest services that put that rumor down. All he was saying on the Screamscape was that either they lied or didn't know yet, but he leaned more towards them not knowing at that time.

#18 The BeastFan

The BeastFan

COASTER-net Supreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

The park has now confirmed in a few places that Iron Wolf will now indeed be leaving after this season.

After a long 21 year history at the park, we will be removing Iron Wolf. Make sure to get your last rides in – Iron Wolf’s Last Stand is September 5.

#19 steel-Rock

steel-Rock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:01 AM

I just got back from SFGAM. At the end of the day, I was talking to a worker who was off duty and riding coasters
for the first time. They confirmed that Iron Wolf is going down, but they said that it was getting totally scrapped.
The most interesting thing that they said was that a new "major coaster" is going in its spot.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by steel-Rock, 10 August 2011 - 04:05 AM.

NO FEAR !!         Goliath (SFOG) Intimidator Millennium Force Leviathan Griffon

Thunderhead  Lightning Racer  Phoenix  Viper  Prowler

PARK COUNT = 60            BGW  Cedar Point  Kings Dominion  SFGAM  Canada's Wonderland

RIDE COUNT = 380            Newsboys  Switchfoot  Thousand Foot Krutch  Bride  Chevelle

#20 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

I feel at this point, SFGAm is almost required to put in a new coaster to replace Wolf when it leaves. We've gone too long without a large addition, and in that time we've lost DejaVu and now Iron Wolf. The question is what? If the new ride is going to be here for 2012, then its obviously going to be something small. Demo on IW won't start till late September and will probably take until the Winter storms roll in. Which means the new attraction can't really get started on till the Winter storms end. One rumor I've heard tossed around in this vein is that we'll be getting a clone of SFMM's new Green Lantern Zacspin. Personally, I would view that as a huge downgrade. Granted it would be the most thrilling addition since Superman back in 2005, but still it would be a capacity nightmare, a down-time magnet, and essentially just a cheap patch job for the whole left in the park's repertoire.

On the other side of things, I've heard rumors (very hopeful but probably wrong) that the replacement coaster will debut in 2013. The delayed time frame being because of the huge scope and scale of the new project, allegedly one of B&M's new Wing Coaster designs. I find this rather difficult to believe though just because Iron Wolf doesn't take up much space. Any ride of such sort would almost inevitably take out either Bedrock Forrest or the former Wiggles World, both of which won't happen. So I'm kinda resigning myself to losing a sentimental favorite in favor of a cheap gimmicky ride that will cause a quick boost in attendance and nearly immediate ROI.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#21 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

There are plenty of big attractions that don't start contruction until late Septemember and October. I do agree with you Ryan that they better start soon on whatever it is. Lately, there have been more than just SFGAm demolition workers over at SWF area. There have been reports of well dressed business employees heading over there lately as well. I wonder if we will start seeing them move some of their "big tools" in soon to that area. Even if Wolf leaves late, they could still build a larger attraction because it probably isn't going to be built in Wolf's spot.

Of course, the park could be building something smaller next year and opening something larger the year after. Truth is, SFGAm HAS to get something big. It's the busiest Six Flags park without a bunch of major attractions. They need a couple more thrill rides to even out the busy Chicago/Milwaukee crowds.

#22 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

County Fair is half dead even with Wolf there. If they take it out and don't put anything there in its place, that spot will be nearly lifeless in 2012.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#23 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Isn't that part of the reason a couple years ago they opened that section at 11? It has lacked popularity ever since Deja Vu left. Demon and Eagle have been dead for years which is odd because both aren't horrible coasters. I hope not only it gets a new coaster but a new flat as well.

#24 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

I feel this is kinda related because I plan on taking pics of the park's future coaster, X-Flight. Anyone up for a SFGAm meet up on Satuday, September 17th? Its the last day of AE Blue operating backwards. Here's a thread I've posted for the trip -clicky-

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#25 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

With 2 Intamin 2nd Gen drop towers gone in the US, do you think we may see Giant Drop headed out in the near future? SFGAm is a park that needs a free fall tower, but with problems on them and Kennywood now removing theirs, is it possible that GD may go? Honestly, I never see a full line even on the busiest days and sometimes they don't even have enough ride ops to function the whole tower. That's also because of the attendance they may only run one side on a summer day. There is enough room in its spot to add a thrilling flat ride.

Also, with Bugs Bunny National Park gone and the tiny Little Dipper in its place, that leaves a bit of room if they remove the go-karts. I could see a compact coaster in that spot of Yukon in the coming years or perhaps a woodie that occupies both sides of walkway where Iron Wolf and the go-karts. In other words form a bridge over the walkway that the coaster would travel over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users