• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#26 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

Wow that's awesome! Its gonna be a tight fit going under that wing. Also, props to B&M and Thorpe park for finding a clever way to hide/disguise that trip break. Honestly, if I were riding it, I probably wouldn't even notice it since I'd be paying much more attention to how close my legs are getting to that fake plane engine.

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#27 biZarRo

biZarRo

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

It looks a little too tight there, IMO. I also find it weird that the trim is at the bottom of the drop. Aren't they usually before the apex of an airtime hill or zero g roll?
Posted Image
YouTube Channel NL Ride Review Thread biZarRo's NL Designs
You can sometimes find me on Xbox Live when I'm not on COASTER-net.

#28 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

This is right before the 0-g roll.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#29 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Trains are on sight now and really look intimidating. They also have a sick onboard lighting design. Check out pics, as well as a cool construction timelapse. -clicky-

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#30 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

I love the trains. They are hardcore, filthy looking, and awesome! :) By far the coolest wing rider trains I think, especially with the lights on the front!

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

#31 Vater

Vater

• Elders
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Need to have my head examined. I thought I was reading the X-Flight thread, and was amazed that Six Flags would get such awesome looking trains. Heh...

I dig the spider near the end of the time-lapse video.
Posted Image

#32 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

Here is a video of The Swarm's first test run:

The Swarm Test Run Video

This is on Thorpe Park's Facebook page. I really love the drop and how forceful it pulls downward.

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

#33 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Nice video. Even though everyone will probably complain about it being short, I love the relentless pacing of that ride. It somewhat reminds me of BtR in that aspect. Can't wait to see the stateside ones start testing. Wild Eagle's trains are on site so it shouldn't be long now.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#34 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted...

http://www.bellenews...bs-snapped-off/

Posted Image

I'm going to say this isn't real. That kind of stuff isn't something you just miscalculate. There's also a few articles floating around that talk about fighter pilots being scared of the ride. :rolleyes:
COASTER-net Troll and Voice of Sarcasm.
@Steven_HokieDT

#35 The BeastFan

The BeastFan

COASTER-net Supreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, those are clearly manikins you see in department stores. Definitely signs of a publicity stunt (since they already have video of riders on board and they are ok).

Both Thorpe and Alton Towers have been up to pretty weird stuff considering their marketing of new rides. As much as it stirs curiosity, it seems like they're going quite a ways out of their way and the stuff they come up with just seems ridiculous to me, even for a marketing campaign.

Edited by The BeastFan, 07 March 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#36 Vater

Vater

• Elders
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Not the first time Thorpe has fabricated fun stories like this to market a new ride.

Edit: I don't find it ridiculous. I find it effective. It generates buzz, which is what you want when you're trying to bring more butts into your park.
Posted Image

#37 The BeastFan

The BeastFan

COASTER-net Supreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

I guess I meant that from a cultural stand point. I definitely couldn't see that working here in the States, but hey, if it works in Europe, more power to them I guess.

Edited by The BeastFan, 07 March 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#38 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Good points.

I suppose it gives Thorpe executives a chance to make themselves look good by saying things like, "Safety is our top concern." but I definitely don't think it would work here as well.

Pretty sure coaster dummies don't have full arms and legs or heads as well.
@Steven_HokieDT

#39 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

• Elders
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

USA Today caught the bait and recently put out an article similar to the UK version, falling for Thorpe's publicity stunt. I closed the article a while ago, not worth posting.

Here's the POV the park release. I'm hearing that those who harp on B&M's not being intense (basically everyone who loves Intamins and everyone in the UK) are going to hammer this ride for not being intense. That's what I've heard and seen on board from those who have ridden it so far. Though it is apparently very, very smooth. The themeing also shows they are getting really aggressive in appealing that side of culture. They don't mind pushing offensive boundaries, anyone seen their park map? Definitely an interesting site to see. If they are drawing that kind of crowd and doing well because of it good for them. It's not my taste personally.

2013 Agenda: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood, and Dollywood's Splash Country.
2014 Agenda: Kings Island, Beech Bend, and Dollywood. 

2015 Agenda Speculation: Carowinds and Holiday World and Splashin' Safari.
Coaster Count: 136 - Griffon Count: 52

#40 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Are you referring to this map?

Posted Image
@Steven_HokieDT