Photo

Six Flags 2012 best additions?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Six Flags 2012 best additions?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which addition are you most excited for?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which park's addition was most needed?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Vater

Vater

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Elders
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

As long as we're discussing overused names, here are a few others that don't get many complaints but are quite common.

• Python (9)
  • Viper (11)
  • Montanya Russa (14)
  • Coaster (22)
  • Jet Star (21)
  • Jet Coaster (36)
  • Cyclone (44)
  • Roller Coaster (129)
For point of comparison, there are 6 coasters in the world bearing the name Goliath.

+a million

Also, don't forget Superman, which is the name of several completely different layouts (and can even pertain to drop towers, oh noez!), and goes against exactly the point TexasCyclone96 made with the Batman-themed clones.

I realize my Space/Big Thunder analogy probably wasn't the best, but my point was that it's Disney, which will illicit fewer complaints than anything Six Flags for no reason other than, well, it's Disney, and not Six Flags.

But really, Ryan's analogy is even better--especially the Vipers, Pythons and Cyclones. Whereas most of the others are either generic names (Montaña Russa/Roller Coaster/Coaster) or names for the specific manufacturer's model (Jet Star, Jet Coaster, and even Wildcat, Wild Mouse, etc.), the others are names that imply theme (snake or storm) and span the gamut of types and layouts, as Tyler and TexasCyclone96 point out as being a "problem" with the six Goliaths.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I find irksome about the enthusiast mentality that I mention so often. It's like they forget that parks are businesses that exist to make money, and should rather be catering to the .001% of the patrons that travel the world specifically to ride rolley-coasters and, for some reason, dwell on insignificant crap like six coasters nowhere near each other all having the same name.
Posted Image

#27 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

If money is an issue for the business, then why didn't they stick with Deja Vu which is much simpler than changing it to Goliath. I get what Ryan means and I do dislike coasters being named the same thing over and over again but my point is that SF is reusing names quite a bit which is why I didn't care for them naming the new SFDK coaster Superman Ultimate Flight. I'm just giving my opinion not speaking for every coaster enthusiast.

Getting back to the topic, this is without question one of the biggest seasons Six Flags has ever had as far as additions go. There may have been another season or so of more additions if someone could refresh my memory. Maybe this is the biggest upcoming season. I give Six Flags a huge applause for what they have done!
The founder of COASTER-net's affiliate SFGAm Nation

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle (Red) 4. HellCat 5. Viper

#28 steel-Rock

steel-Rock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

Let's stay talking about the names for a minute. I was ok with Goliath up to 2008. At that point it just ment big;
four megas by three different designers. (I guess though we really can't get Walibi Holland involved because
they are not Six Flags.) Anyway, the screw up was with the Batman clone at Fiesta Texas, because that one
is not a large one like the others. In the end, I do take this a little personally because the one at SFOG is tied
with two other B&M megas with different names as my number 1. I'm a little bothered about the fact that it is
associated with others that don't seem like they could be in the same league.

I really think that the GP might think that this new Superman Utimate Flight is something that it's not. There are
three coasters with the same name just outside of big cities that they might know about. Also B&M flyers have
gotten a big boost with Tatsu and Manta - also in areas that many people travel to. Now we throw this Premier
thing that looks like it has a Maurer Sohne "skyloop" and "non-inverted loop". Where in the world ... !? :blink:

NO FEAR !!         Goliath (SFOG) Intimidator Millennium Force Leviathan Griffon

Thunderhead  Lightning Racer  Phoenix  Viper  Prowler

PARK COUNT = 50            BGW  Cedar Point  Kings Dominion  SFGAM  Canada's Wonderland

RIDE COUNT = 331            Newsboys  Switchfoot  Thousand Foot Krutch  Bride  Chevelle

#29 TexasCyclone

TexasCyclone

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Also, don't forget Superman, which is the name of several completely different layouts (and can even pertain to drop towers, oh noez!), and goes against exactly the point TexasCyclone96 made with the Batman-themed clones.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I find irksome about the enthusiast mentality that I mention so often. It's like they forget that parks are businesses that exist to make money, and should rather be catering to the .001% of the patrons that travel the world specifically to ride rolley-coasters and, for some reason, dwell on insignificant crap like six coasters nowhere near each other all having the same name.

All the superman's (up 'till now) have had different subtitles (ex. ultimate flight, krypton coaster, etc) to differentiate.

And what's wrong with thinking like an enthusiast? That's what we are. You make it sound like I'm on the verge of complaining to the PR department at Six Flags for the name of ride. Since we are enthusiasts I don't see anything wrong with at least discussing our opinions on the company's moves.

Again, I care about the names to a certain extent and I'm not going to over-obsess over them too much (I did however go a little overboard with complaining about the "Cheetah Hunt" name).

Posted Image
Coaster count: 122 - 104 Steel & 18 Wood :: RIP Astroworld 1968 - 2005

#30 Tori Finlay

Tori Finlay

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

I guess I'll be in the minority then...

I actually like the name Goliath for the Deja Vu. To me, it represents HUGE and that's exactly what the ride will look like in the area it's being put in. I mean, I'm all for creativity, but they are just moving the ride around. Why waste the money to put in a patent?
Posted Image

#31 Vater

Vater

• Elders
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

That pretty much sums it up...even if you don't like the name. But yeah, the ride is 200" tall, which is large for any coaster, let alone a shuttle, so the name fits in this case.

Sharing opinions on recycled coaster names (for recycled coasters, yet!) is about as interesting as discussing track colors. Or, in my (probably unpopular) opinion, about as interesting as the coaster ratings thread...
Posted Image

#32 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

Am I the only one looking forward to seeing opinions of S:UF then X-Flight? I'm honestly more excited about that then any other coaster being built.
COASTER-net Troll and Voice of Sarcasm.
@Steven_HokieDT

#33 TexasCyclone

TexasCyclone

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:58 AM

Sharing opinions on recycled coaster names (for recycled coasters, yet!) is about as interesting as discussing track colors. Or, in my (probably unpopular) opinion, about as interesting as the coaster ratings thread...

You don't like discussing track colors........Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

That pretty much sums it up...even if you don't like the name. But yeah, the ride is 200" tall, which is large for any coaster, let alone a shuttle, so the name fits in this case.

The name and track colors are both important. In fact, going back to Superman being overused, a few years ago when the girl had her legs severed at Kentucky Kingdom a lot of the GP thought it was the Superman at SFGAm. WGN had a broadcast about it and even clarified on there it isn't the ride at Great America.There were even some people mad at Great America for keeping Superman running the next day even though it was a completely different ride.

It's not that Goliath doesn't fit the coaster well, it's just something such as keeping Deja Vu would have been better and goes better with the colors. This is just my opinion though.

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle (Red) 4. HellCat 5. Viper

#35 Vater

Vater

• Elders
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

"Deja Vu" goes better with blue and green? Ok, I'm done. I honestly can't argue with that...logic.
Posted Image

#36 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm not directing the company, I just gave my opinions on how maybe it could have been better so please understand that. I'm not trying to sound like a mean person here or anything because I'm not, but it just seems like everybody's opinion you tend to criticize. Arguments are good on the boards and I, myself am guilty of going overboard on this topic but it gets me a bit frustrated.

Deja Vu does happen to go with the colors because the bold blue and bright green give you that blinding and disoriented feel where darker colors wouldn't work so well. Brighter colors kind of mess with your head a bit than say black and brown. It's the little things that will make a coaster great. :)

#37 Vater

Vater

• Elders
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

My criticism is mostly based on saturating myself with enthusiast forums over the last decade, admittedly. It just gets old--especially with the promise that 2012 will be a banner year for the amusement industry--hearing people gripe about the little things that don't matter. We're going to see a massive amount of new coasters and coaster types next year, and someone complains about the name...or color...or whatever. Heck, people are complaining that Canada's Wonderland is adding a giga coaster next year because they just got a hyper last year. It doesn't compute.

Enthusiasts will complain. It's a fact, I know it, I accept it. It doesn't make it any less irritating.
Posted Image

#38 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

One of the biggest things of being a coaster enthusiast is we go into detail and enjoy it. If I were to just look at a new addition and say "it's cool and hope to ride it" and that's it, I would just be like any other person in the general public. I just love being a coaster enthusiast so much that going into detail is fun for me. I didn't care with one detail, but that doesn't mean I think it will be a bad addition.

The thing that I love about the additions next year is each one is basically different and unique in its own way. Years in the past they added multiple clones of a ride but this coming season they really took it up a notch. I'm really liking the direction Six Flags is going and hopefully this is just the beginning.

#39 Dolphanatic

Dolphanatic

Kiddie Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

The only thing I'm against is moving Déjà Vu. The ride was really starting to look its best, with Apocalypse in the place of Psyclone and the trees providing lots of shade in the queue line, the ride really seemed like the perfect fit for that section of the park.Posted Image And the new name "Goliath", while fitting, isn't nearly as unique (GP: "Look! itz teh Goliath @ 6Flgs!"). Perhaps SFNE will consider renaming Flashback "Goliath Jr."Posted Image

X-Flight looks amazing and may well be the best of the wing coasters. Although "X-Flight" is name exchanging, it does fit the coaster type well.

Posted ImagePosted Image
The logo is slightly familiar though.

Lex Luthor will be a good record-breaking addition to SFMM. I can't wait!

#40 TexasCyclone

TexasCyclone

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

You don't like discussing track colors........Posted Image

Lol I hope y'all caught my sarcasm in that...I guess it wasn't obvious enough
Posted Image

#41 Vater

Vater

• Elders
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

Lol I hope y'all caught my sarcasm in that...I guess it wasn't obvious enough

I did, but then Tyler mentioned that colors are important, which I found to be more humorous than your post. In a different way... B)
Posted Image

#42 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

^I don't understand how it's funny. Colors are important, else every coaster would just be grey or the default steel look and that's no fun. Posted Image I wonder if the next time Goliath gets a new coat of paint if they will bring upon a new color. I'm not sure how faded the ride is unless they repainted it recently when it was at SFMM.

#43 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

• Elders
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

I'll do this the way BeastFan did it. I'll also go into the name/paint conversation when I get to the Goliath portion.

Apocalypse at Six Flags America - Definitely the most needed addition. It fits nicely into that area, and into their collection of roller coasters. It's also their first B&M, granted it is 20 years old. I do hope it gets new rolling stock, if so then I see this as a good addition. Personally I would have liked to see it stay in its natural environment at SFGAm where it had more significance. Not to mention it would have given SFGAm five B&M's. Paradise. The colors and look great, I do like the name. Seems like a solid addition. It also adds life to B&M first roller coaster, which is never a bad thing in my opinion.

Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Discovery kingdom - Like BeastFan and everyone has said, this really did come out of nowhere. No real hints besides Big Spin probably leaving leaving a small footprint for a new attraction. Bringing Premier Rides in is huge. It shows Six Flags and Premier Rides are willing to think out of the box and that Six Flags isn't going to keep calling the same numbers for additions. They are willing to look different places. It fits in great with what they have, but is incredibly unique, which is something you have to have to attract people to parks in California. Though it may have some, not major, capacity issues I still think it'll be a thriller and a fantastic addition. It offers the diversity and thought the amusement industry so desperately needs. As soon as everything began to look the same 2012 seems to have pushed us forward again. It looks stunning up at the front of the park, and is going to be a great experience. Definitely in the top three as far as ranking these additions go.

Sky Screamer at Six Flags Fiesta Texas - Great addition. Park didn't really need anything so a substantial flat works. BeastFan also brings up a good point. This is things is going to look very good and very festive.

Sky Screamer and Ride Package at Six Flags Great Adventure - Simple but necessary and well thought out. Have the Sky Screamer anchor the addition and then add some much needed flats. It was weird seeing so many roller coaster and concrete slabs where flats used to be when I visited this summer. It'll add some life to the right side of the park and it makes the most sense. This is up there with SFA as far as needs go even though it is SFGAdv.

X-Flight at Six Flags Great America - Winner of the chain in my opinion. Never would have expected Six Flags to invest so heavily in one addition this year, especially a B&M Wing Rider. Unique addition that fits well in Splashwater Falls former spot. I would have like to see the old cars stay and seen X-Flight ride in, around, and over top of them. Ah well. One concern of mine is that while it shows the grown being grass, SFOG's animation of Dare Devil Dive did also and it's now concrete and gravel. X-Flight's area already has quite a bit of concrete, and my concern that they've just fill the rest in with gravel or concrete it over like they did with Dare Devil Dive, which has the same theme. SFGAm is deserving considering they haven't seen anything "major" since Superman - Ultimate Flight in 2003, that was eight years ago soon to be nine. They have lost Deja Vu and now Iron Wolf since then so this definitely brings a spark. It also fits into their lineup really well. I love how it interacts with the themeing elements.

Lex Luthor Drop of Doom at Six Flags Magic Mountain - The second place winner. SFMM has always been missing a drop ride from its collection and building it on the side of Superman The Escape is an effective use of space, finances, and is just downright awesome. It also gives them the tallest and fastest drop ride in the world without having to even build a tower. I'm a sucker for drop rides so I'm stoked to see this in action. I'm disappointed to see Deja Vu leave and not have anything fill the void, similar to Iron Wolf leaving, but this is really a great addition.

Goliath at Six Flags New England - I just don't get this addition. Yes, I see the argument that it does and will work, but I think it would have been better served staying at SFMM. Putting it beside another Vekoma Boomerang in Flashback, much less it being in the same park as another Vekoma Boomerang just makes no sense. It's facing almost the same direction. The name Goliath doesn't really make sense either. I understand multiple Mega/Hyper coasters having the name Goliath because it fits. Deja Vu is a much more unique and fitting name in my opinion. I don't have a problem with naming multiple rides the same thing, but this and a B&M Invert (Goliath at SFFT) just don't make much sense to me. Interesting to see if they'll repaint it or not.

The slides look great. They are becoming the norm of water park additions recently, kind of like the Star Flyers/Sky Screamers and Windseekers of the amusement industry. SFOG is getting six shows, which is fantastic because I saw parts of a few when I went this spring and was fairly disappointed. The other parks seem to be getting lighter stuff like shows and such. I imagine Six Flags Mexico will get Big Spin from Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.
2013 Agenda: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood, and Dollywood's Splash Country.
2014 Agenda: Lake Winnepesaukah.
Coaster Count: 121 - Griffon Count: 52

#44 TexasCyclone

TexasCyclone

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Sky Screamer at Six Flags Fiesta Texas - Great addition. Park didn't really need anything so a substantial flat works. BeastFan also brings up a good point. This is things is going to look very good and very festive.

Not to mention that it will bring you out of the rock quarry and give you some great views of the park. And a good flat is always nice.

Goliath at Six Flags New England - I just don't get this addition. Yes, I see the argument that it does and will work, but I think it would have been better served staying at SFMM. Putting it beside another Vekoma Boomerang in Flashback, much less it being in the same park as another Vekoma Boomerang just makes no sense. It's facing almost the same direction. The name Goliath doesn't really make sense either. I understand multiple Mega/Hyper coasters having the name Goliath because it fits. Deja Vu is a much more unique and fitting name in my opinion. I don't have a problem with naming multiple rides the same thing, but this and a B&M Invert (Goliath at SFFT) just don't make much sense to me. Interesting to see if they'll repaint it or not.

Agreed, my thoughts exactly. My only hope at this point is that Six Flags has something up their sleeve to replace Deja Vu with in the future.
Posted Image

#45 TexasCyclone

TexasCyclone

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Just thought I might as well update this as Six Flags Great Adventure is now getting this super-cool, awesome, themed water slide (as opposed to the normal drop-chute slides they were going to add) called King Cobra. They have added a preview video and it looks sick. I love the direction Six Flags is moving in and the additions are great this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59vpkHBO77w&feature=g-all-u&context=G2c19de9FAAAAAAAAAAA
Posted Image

#46 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

^That is really neat! Usually designs like that I find cheesy but that one is really good. Now I see SFGAm getting that next year for HH.

#47 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

SFGAm doesn't have room to add onto the waterpark unless they expand into the parkinglot. Also, I think last year's additions will hold us pretty well for a while. The new wave pool added a ton of capacity and the slide tower gave our HH the big thrill it had previously been missing. I think next year we'll see a ZacSpin in Wolf's old spot.

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#48 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I don't know why I said SFGAm, maybe because I was just posting about X-Flight in another topic. I meant SFMM. My thought was that SFMM should get another flat ride for the theme park and this for their water park. They really need another water ride for their HH.

#49 The BeastFan

The BeastFan

COASTER-net Supreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

I felt this issue would be best addressed here. I'm referring to the Freeze twins being reversed. I'm still wondering how they are going to keep riders comfortable. Anyone whose been on a Premier launcher knows the kind of forces during the launch. With the Freeze twins having the fastest launch of the bunch, my thoughts turn to how they'll address the riders' heads snapping forward during launch.

#50 Vater

Vater

• Elders
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

My guess is that it might feel like hitting the brakes hard on a forward-facing coaster, but slightly more prolonged. With the Premier restraints, whiplash wouldn't be a concern since your upper body isn't being held against the seat back; there's some room to lean forward, pivoting at the waist.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users