Photo

BGW 2012 - Verbolten Confirmed

verbolten launch coaster busch gardens

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#51 netdvn

netdvn

Hyper-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the comparison! Thank you could go into a bit more detail on the Verbolten ride experience?

Verbolten is fast and fun. It's not a completely life-changing experience, but definitely a solid addition to the park.

You basically round the corner and get launched into the building. The helices inside will throw you around and the theming provides a nice touch to the coaster. Drop track isn't too intense if you expect it.

The bridge didn't go as slow as it did during testing, but it was still slow enough that you don't get too much air. Still, the last drop and turns are pretty aggressive and you will be thrown around like the indoor portion. The ride does have a noticeable rattle going down the final drop.

Overall, as a replacement for the BBW, Verbolten is definitely a step up. Is it the best coaster in the park? No, Alpengeist and Apollo provide a better ride experience, but it sits comfortably ahead of Mach and Griffon as my third favorite ride.

#52 steel-Rock

steel-Rock

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

^ With the event building, I could see Verbolten being more enjoyable than Cheetah Hunt.
However, better than Griffon with its 90 degree drops and large Immelmanns, I have my doubts.
NO FEAR !!           
                                             BGW  Cedar Point  Kings Dominion  SFGAV  Canada's Wonderland
PARK COUNT = 65           Goliath (SFOG) Intimidator Millennium Force Leviathan Griffon 
RIDE COUNT = 407           Thunderhead  Lightning Racer  Phoenix  Viper (SFGAM)  Prowler

#53 vinny

vinny

Hyper-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

It is great to see Big Bad Wolf replaced by something this nice makes me miss my old home park. Nice to see a even better coaster live on in this part of the park again.

#54 netdvn

netdvn

Hyper-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

^^ Griffon really isn't all that impressive outside of the holding brake over the drop. Sheikra gives a better ride experience because of the guest interaction on the ground and the great theming.

With the lights off, the ride is even better. I plan on riding a few more times in the coming weeks.

#55 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

^^ Griffon really isn't all that impressive outside of the holding brake over the drop. Sheikra gives a better ride experience because of the guest interaction on the ground and the great theming.

With the lights off, the ride is even better. I plan on riding a few more times in the coming weeks.

Bold statement. We had a massive debate here at COASTER-net in 2008 or maybe 2009 I believe regarding, which one was better. It pretty much was even and a matter of personal preference. But to say Griffon's only impressive element is the holding brake is definitely bold. Did you ride SheiKra first? If so it could have given away some of Griffon's surprise appeal and greatness. I will agree that SheiKra offers more intense moments. The throw off the holding brake throws you into your restraint on SheiKra while Griffon's doesn't but has prolonged air on the way down in my opinion.

Griffon also has fantastic ride interaction. The first drop dives under the small bridge with people always standing on it watching you as you fly under them. The water splash also has some interaction, I will agree the SheiKra's water splash is a bit more personable though and SheiKra has great guest interaction of its own. Griffon offers other things that I believe SheiKra does, such as better transitions and a better layout, which result in better ride flow rather than riding a ride that is "element to element". Griffon too also has great themeing and utilizes the terrain. Like I said, all personal preference. BJ will say SheiKra, I will say Griffon (though with SheiKra literally the next spot after).

It is great to see Big Bad Wolf replaced by something this nice makes me miss my old home park. Nice to see a even better coaster live on in this part of the park again.

And apparently that are a ton of shoutouts to the Wold throughout the queue and ride experience. I too am excited about this replacement at my "actual" home park.

^ With the event building, I could see Verbolten being more enjoyable than Cheetah Hunt.
However, better than Griffon with its 90 degree drops and large Immelmanns, I have my doubts.

I'll comment on your rankings in the rankings thread netdvn, but I was surprised when I saw Verbolten above Cheetah Hunt. I could see it though, especially if one is really impressed by indoor section. I enjoy indoor sections, don't go crazy over them.

Like I've said before. I've heard this is a solid mid-level family roller coaster replacement for the Wolf that does the park, the Wolf, and Oktoberfest justice, though I have not been able to experience it myself yet.

2015 Agenda: Carowinds, Holiday World, and Six Flags St. Louis.
2016 Agenda: Dollywood, Belmont Park, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Knott's Berry Farm. Potentially Pacific Park, Lake Winnepesaukah, and Kentucky Kingdom as well.
Coaster Count: 151 - Griffon Count: 52

#56 netdvn

netdvn

Hyper-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

^ I rode Sheikra after riding Griffon. Layout-wise both are pretty much even. I still got good air on both drops and both holding brakes got me, but Sheikra offers a slightly better experience. Since the ride sits up against the main path and the surrounding area is themed well, I'd say Sheikra is better. Plus you can get some nice views from the train station. Griffon is sorta tucked away toward the back of the village and while I like the drop under the bridge, I feel the splashdown area doesn't look as good as Sheikra's.

Verbolten is better than Cheetah Hunt because of the theming. While Cheetah Run and the surrounding area looks nice, I felt CH's station was a bit lacking. They could've added a lot more than just a few signs and a few big screens. That being said, CH has the more forceful and *slightly* more interesting layout.

#57 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Assistant Admininstrator
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Here's the Griffon v. SheiKra thread from a few years back. -clicky-There's a ton of good conversation and debate in there if you have the time to read it.

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Coaster Count - 165

#58 Vater

Vater

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, I still don't get that thread. 7 pages of debate over two coasters with more similarities than Arrow and Schwarzkopf shuttle loops.
Posted Image

#59 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yeah, I still don't get that thread. 7 pages of debate over two coasters with more similarities than Arrow and Schwarzkopf shuttle loops.

If good for anything, we know you haven't changed a bit.
COASTER-net Troll and Voice of Sarcasm.
@Steven_HokieDT

#60 BJ KoasterKooK

BJ KoasterKooK

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Agree to disagree. While the similarities are obvious to all, it's the various differences, and I can think of more than 6 off the top of my head, that can be qualitatively and quantitatively compared that make each ride unique.

These are both factual and of personal opinion/experience, unlike only opinions which I have read here being spouted about Verbolten being better or worse than Cheetah Hunt, or the DM's, based solely on one's likes/dislikes and limited experience.
Posted Image

#61 Vater

Vater

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

But....7 pages.
Posted Image

#62 Daniel Westfall

Daniel Westfall

President

• Admin
  • 6,238 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

And you can add to them if you want to keep talking about that....I'd like to get back to the topic of this thread. :)

BJ, I hope you get a chance to ride both and appreciate the differences between them, as I assure you there are a lot. Not every multi-launch family coaster is the same. While there are many things that are pure opinion (like which themeing is better), but there are a lot of design and layout differences as well. I hope that you get to ride and decide for yourself if you haven't already. I'd love to hear your in-depth analysis. The same goes for you, Vater!

High School and College (Undergraduate) Mathematics Tutor
Book an appointment with me today or get more information by visiting http://mathematicstutoring.weebly.com
We accept PayPal, MasterCard, VISA, Discover and Debit Cards

#63 BJ KoasterKooK

BJ KoasterKooK

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

But....7 pages.

You know Vater, there was a time when indepth discourse was the rule rather than the exception around here. Now, I realize some of those guys no longer post here or are usually too busy to put the time into this they once did...but, to me, it was great fun, educational, and interesting dialogue.

I understand your being perplexed about the depth of 2 sister DM's, but hey, I luved it, and we probably won't have another debate like it again sooo, good memories for me if nothing else.

And you can add to them if you want to keep talking about that....I'd like to get back to the topic of this thread. :)

BJ, I hope you get a chance to ride both and appreciate the differences between them, as I assure you there are a lot. Not every multi-launch family coaster is the same. While there are many things that are pure opinion (like which themeing is better), but there are a lot of design and layout differences as well. I hope that you get to ride and decide for yourself if you haven't already. I'd love to hear your in-depth analysis. The same goes for you, Vater!

Hey Daniel, no, I don't have a problem or understanding that there is a difference between Verbolten & Cheetah Hunt...there are many. It's just the limited discourse here saying that it's better than Griffon as a factual statement, or a response back saying something like Verbolten being better than the Big Bad Wolf it replaced, without that person having yet to ride the new coaster.

Those kind of posts irk me, perhaps too much, I know, but we all need to differentiate our opinions from categorical truth...and be clear what the difference is, that's responsiple posting for all.

I look forward to riding Verbolten later this summer, and I have just enjoyed Cheetah Hunt within the last 2 weeks, so I'm sure I'll have something more to add to this, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing.
Posted Image

#64 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Assistant Admininstrator
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

I look forward to riding Verbolten later this summer, and I have just enjoyed Cheetah Hunt within the last 2 weeks, so I'm sure I'll have something more to add to this, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing.

I am definitely interested!

Also,

I understand your being perplexed about the depth of 2 sister DM's, but hey, I luved it, and we probably won't have another debate like it again sooo, good memories for me if nothing else.

Challenge accepted!

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Coaster Count - 165

#65 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

But....7 pages.

You know Vater, there was a time when indepth discourse was the rule rather than the exception around here. Now, I realize some of those guys no longer post here or are usually too busy to put the time into this they once did...but, to me, it was great fun, educational, and interesting dialogue.

Hey Daniel, no, I don't have a problem or understanding that there is a difference between Verbolten & Cheetah Hunt...there are many. It's just the limited discourse here saying that it's better than Griffon as a factual statement, or a response back saying something like Verbolten being better than the Big Bad Wolf it replaced, without that person having yet to ride the new coaster.

Those kind of posts irk me, perhaps too much, I know, but we all need to differentiate our opinions from categorical truth...and be clear what the difference is, that's responsiple posting for all.

I saw Daniel's post and smirked Brian. You obviously understand the differences between Cheetah Hunt and Verbolten, but I see the thought. And quite true, the epic, in-depth dialogue is always my thing, and was the norm. I remember bantering about Intimidator 305, Intimidator 305/Millennium Force, Griffon/SheiKra, the Wolf coming down, Maverick and it's phantom zero-g-roll, and numerous other conversations. Those statements really get at my last nerve too. Factual-like statements that have no explanation whatsoever, or are ignorant of other actual facts.

And the 7 pages was fun... and frustrating... but mostly fun.

I am definitely interested!

Also,

Challenge accepted!

I'm definitely interested as well!

Anyways, regarding Verbolten, I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to test her out this year or not. I hope so because I'm very excited to do so, and to do the same with Mach Tower and see Oktoberfest post 2010. I'm having a lot of friends text me talking about how much of a hit it is, and how they weren't expecting all of the surprises so at least that park of it is turning out well (note these friends are of the "general public" variety.

2015 Agenda: Carowinds, Holiday World, and Six Flags St. Louis.
2016 Agenda: Dollywood, Belmont Park, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Knott's Berry Farm. Potentially Pacific Park, Lake Winnepesaukah, and Kentucky Kingdom as well.
Coaster Count: 151 - Griffon Count: 52