865 replies to this topic

#1 HuLK

HuLK

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hey, so where do we go from here? We got this new coaster coming in taking up what is so valuable in an amusenent park, especially CP. SPACE! So what do you think they will do to expand?

I say there is still a little room left to put in some other awsome stuff, but after that ( in a few years) they might have to take some stuff out. I think (even though I dont approve) they would have to take out Iron dragon or DT, which I would miss both. This was once stated earlier when they wanted to build a new ride.

Shotgun, do you think (since your good at it) you could get an over head map or picture of CP and draw out possible room they have left to build?

Remember it needs to look good to, they cant just start buidling through and over everything, it would look awkward and take away the feeling mario was describing.
Loves God
Loves Wife
Loves Roller Coasters
Loves Life...So should you.
CC-224

#2 KingdaKa22

KingdaKa22

Intermediate Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

If you would like, you could actually download Google Earth and take a screenshot over cedar point. It may work well. I have it so i could try and get a picture if you would like?
KINGDA KA ROCKS MY SOCKS OFF!

#3 shotgun_mario

shotgun_mario

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:43 PM

well, since there has been talk of a desire for wood at the Point, that's where my Next guess would be. However, from looking at the current layout of the park, and without making another Blackpool Pleasure Beach, I would have to say that they are going to have to do some moving of rides, maybe as drastic as when they moved the big wheel for Millenium Force.

I also could see some of the South Eastern Breakers being renovated, however, I do not see another tower in the future, as those buildings are brand new and would have to be torn down. There could possibly be a garage structure, not a high one, perhapse 2-3 levels above ground and one below, if they had powerful pumps running when it rains (oops, did I say RAIN? it doens't RAIN at cedar Point. That's just liquid sunshine falling to the sky, to feed all of our wonderful landscaping at Cedar Point).They could always build another resort off location, jsut outside of the entrance.

There will defidently be something taking the place of Demon Drop. I think most likely either a Vekoma or a S & S ride, perhapse even a small coaster? (screamin' squirrel?)

I also think that we could be seeing maybe another large resturant chain coming to the park, along with more renovations.

If I think of anything more, I'll be sure to write it.

EDIT-------------

well, Google earth doens't have any of Cedar Point rendered.

HOWEVER, someone at microsoft must have been a Cedar Point fan, as they decided to have the park photographed at Bird's Eye view, something that most of the country doesn't have.

Window's Live Local
Posted Image

#4 HuLK

HuLK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

If you would like, you could actually download Google Earth and take a screenshot over cedar point. It may work well. I have it so i could try and get a picture if you would like?

I have google earth, and that area is un-developed. I'd have to agree, I think wood might come next, and that screamin squirrel would be a nice addition, but maybe on a bigger and more complex scale? You're right, not a whole lot can fit n the spot of Deamon Drop.

Thanks for the links!
Loves God
Loves Wife
Loves Roller Coasters
Loves Life...So should you.
CC-224

#5 TheDarkMaxim

TheDarkMaxim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

Shotgun almost every park in the USA has a birds eye view or a good ariel.
Posted Image
thank you keith

#6 Wood Dragon 1988

Wood Dragon 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:49 AM

^Well, then why don't you share one with us?

I remember an old topic just like this, and we managed to come up with a few areas of the park that were undeveloped. Us (the guests) really never know if a park has space or not IMO. Look at what Cedar Point did this year with the Screamin Swing. They didn't even use the space of the removed ride for it.

But here are the areas we came up with:
By Snake River Falls
White Water Landing
The Island
By Magnum
By Mean Streak
The Parking Lot (Duh!)
Plus now Demon Drop

I don't know if all that is true, but that's what we came up with last year. Now, if they want to build another MF, then they may have a problem, but I think a compact (GCI) or out and back (Intamin or GG) wooden would fit in somewhere. Plus, if they put in a BETTER wooden, they may remove MS. <_< But we have to be reasonable: CP hasn't removed any coasters since the 70s, and they've added plenty, so they are very experienced at squeezing in coasters!
end

#7 KingdaKa22

KingdaKa22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

I don't think they are going to remove any roller coasters. They will probably want to get the title back fro most coasters in the world. They have just lost that to Magic Mountain. I don't see that happening any time soon or at least until they add a couple more.

#8 shotgun_mario

shotgun_mario

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:22 PM

ok, I understand now that a lot of parks have a birds eye view, while msot of the country doesnt even have up to date arials. Any parks that i had looked at (up until jsut now) didn't have birds eye views.

well, I have been looking at everything, and one place that a really great wood coaster could go is along the beach.

Not ON the beach, but along it. If they were to move the boardwalk out 30 feet farther into the beach, it could work. You know, a nice california woddie, goldern era style. Plenty of airtime, white, with the alternating red/yellow stripped tunnels on it. Would be wonderful, and wouldn't have to be really big to be enjoyed.

other than that, I really cannot see any room on the park without over populating it. Would anyone really miss scetions of channenge park going? Such as the go carts? they take up a lot of room, and could be used to draw a lot more guests in if it were developed into something else.

Along with possibly removing some of the cars. I mean, they have the corvettes and 2 tracks of cadillac cars. Sure, they have been there for ages, but perhapse completely move them out, and rebuild them all together (cadillacs here, not the corvettes) perhapse going through some of hte park as a 'viewing' ride, rather than taking up a chunk of land?
Posted Image

#9 GADVFREAK99

GADVFREAK99

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

1 ride they definatly need LOG FLUME.
Posted Image

#10 Wood Dragon 1988

Wood Dragon 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:46 PM

^Or not, who would want three sprinkles of water when they could be at one of the TWO waterparks or one of the two other water rides or riding Mellineum Force! Besides, if they just took out the flume, why in the world would they put in another one!

I agree with your wooden along the beach idea, ShotGun. I envisioned a hyper wooden to run parallel with Blue Streak before the plans of this new coaster. Look at this; http://rcdb.com/ig12.htm?picture=4 Seems to be enough room on either side to me for an OUT&BACK wooden. Kinda like what GAd did with El Toro and the old wooden.
end

#11 KingdaKa22

KingdaKa22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

I would LOVE to see a hyper-wooden. They give tons of airtime, and a great thrill. Cedar Point needs another good woodie. They have Blue Streak, which isn't very good, they have mean streak which is decent, and they have Gemini, which isn't actually a woodie. I think that would match the theme of Cedar Point too because they are an old fashioned amusement park which were all about woodies.I LOVE THAT IDEA!

#12 CoasterFreak8675

CoasterFreak8675

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

I hope that they do something quick to get that title back.
Six Flags Magic Mountain is too far away to visit, to say that i've been to the "Coaster Capital of the World."

I also wish they would do something about Mean Streak.
Its either got to go, or do something about the bumps on the bottom of the drops.
That coaster isn't very popular on any given day of the week.
I went and I didn't have to wait to get on last summer.
Although its like, 10 years old.

I also wish that Cedar Point would chill out with Intamin. Sure their coasters are GREAT! but theyre getting monotonous. Maybe some more B&M coasters. I really like those coasters. Faster lines too, which everyone loves!

I really don't think that they should add another wooden out and back, like a "California woodie." Why is it Californian?
They should be investing on something much more thrilling.

I would like to see a dueling and racing coaster there.
Maybe something original like a dueling/racing floorless and inverted coaster from B&M.
That would make everyone go CRAZY!
Has anyone ever thought about a coaster like that?

Cedar Point should expand into Lake Erie, although that lake is SO disgusting.
I hate rowing in it all the time, ew.
Possibly expand out and not let the boats go near the supports.

Thats what I think they should do, possibly, maybe.
:-)

#13 shotgun_mario

shotgun_mario

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

I am unsure as to the laws pertaining to a lake expansion, but I can tell you it would be pure heck to try to keep up with anything out over the water. It would be very difficult to do, plus unsightly. It wouldn't be cost effective either, because whenever the tiniest of storms were to pass over, all of the 'pier' rides would have to be shut down, because they are out in the open, with possible high winds and lake spray on riders.

Well, I don't remember where, but someone at cedar Point said they had very effective staff for creating room for future rides, and that they will have room for several more years. So we don't have to worry til then as far as making room goes.
Posted Image

#14 GADVFREAK99

GADVFREAK99

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:01 AM

They could use a nice 7 inversion floorless coaster. ALSO A LOG FLUME, WHAT DOES NOT HAVE A LOG FLUME THATS JUST REDICTULOUS. MY HOME PARK SFGADV HAS 2 LOG FLUMES. CEDAR POINT HAD ONE NOW THEY HAVE NONE.
Posted Image

#15 shotgun_mario

shotgun_mario

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:08 AM

yea, actually I agree with you there. Cedar Point could use a modern log flume. They're great fun, and if layed out correctly can take up very little room if weaved with other rides. Just make sure to bring it up to modern times, that's all. I really hope that we see a complete renovation of all of the water rides there actually.
Posted Image

#16 Hepta

Hepta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

The defunct Idora park has one. But thats just the last one I looked at.

#17 Wood Dragon 1988

Wood Dragon 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:48 PM

But why would they add another log flume if they just got rid of theirs?
end

#18 CoasterCrazy00

CoasterCrazy00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:35 PM

Maybe they will add one and maybe they won't. I personally think they should add one. But it doesn't make sense they just got rid of one and would add another. Unless they are going to get rid of WWL (which they did) build this new coaster (or whatever it is) and build a new flume somewhere throughout the park. But, then again they could've kept WWL and replaced it somewhere else. Maybe they just wanted a more modern flume. *shrugs*
"No one gets left behind"
"If you say the words 'live together, die alone' to me Jack, I'm going to punch you in your face."

#19 shotgun_mario

shotgun_mario

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

well, I really do see Cedar Point renovation their water rides section. Especially if they are going to renovate the entire frontier town [frontier trail possibly? they did just reinstall some shops]. I mena, look at how many people's favorite water ride [even on this site] is Dudly Do Right's Ripsaw Falls? Yes, it was a great ride, and it didn't have a sttep drop or anything. It was fun. If told a whole story to it. It just wasn't a track *seemingly* placed randomly.

Perhapse a mega ssplash or something? I mean, Cedar Point could always use another dark ride... why not make it a water ride also? Twice the fun!

EDIT---------------------

Am I the only one here that thinks Cedar Point should get back to it's roots and build a Haunted/Fun House? I mean, a building wouldn't even have to be built, tehy still have one from the pirate ride. Just make sure it's a good haunted house... possibly with diffrent *scares* per every few cars? (3 or 4 diffrent scare options so every ride at first was diffrent) I think that'd be really neat, as I think sometimes amusement parks with really big coaster begin to forget how they started. [Cedar Point not so much, but many Six Flags run parks that are much older] Cedar Point had at least 5 fun houses that I can think of. Tim to go look up in my book.

- Noah's Ark (still one smewhere, don't remember) [fun house]
- Tumble Inn[Fun House]
- Hilarity Hall[Fun House]
- Eden Musse [wax house]
- Hi-De-Ho-In the Dark! [dark ride?]
- Laff in the Dark [dark ride?]
- French Frolics [illusion ride]
- Rotor????
-Pirate Ride [dark ride]
-San Francisco Earthquake [dark ride]

well, turned out there were more than I thought. Possibly more than this list. All the more reaso to not let this idea slip away.

Here's a look at a good funhouse site. They have a list of the only known opperating permanent fun houses in the U.S. (and there's not that many)
Laff in the Dark
Posted Image

#20 KingdaKa22

KingdaKa22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:20 PM

I think Cedar Point needs another good woodie or a couple good flats. They have some woodies but none like the types that are coming out. They need one that can compete with El Toro and The Voyage. If they want to stay the roller coaster capital they have to pay attention to what other parks have. I think they also need a B&M flyer or floorless. I think a floorless w/ 10 inversions would be nuts. I think they should get rid of demon drop. There are far more thrilling rides out there that could fit in that space. Another thing i think it would be cool they would shrink down the parking lot and maybe move it before the long drive to the park. They could use trams to get to the park and that would give them more room. That may not work b/c I don't know if they own any land before the peninsula so I'm not sure but I bet they could afford some land there.

#21 Footballteen58

Footballteen58

Giga-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:48 PM

I think Cedar Point needs another good woodie or a couple good flats. They have some woodies but none like the types that are coming out. They need one that can compete with El Toro and The Voyage. If they want to stay the roller coaster capital they have to pay attention to what other parks have. I think they also need a B&M flyer or floorless. I think a floorless w/ 10 inversions would be nuts. I think they should get rid of demon drop. There are far more thrilling rides out there that could fit in that space. Another thing i think it would be cool they would shrink down the parking lot and maybe move it before the long drive to the park. They could use trams to get to the park and that would give them more room. That may not work b/c I don't know if they own any land before the peninsula so I'm not sure but I bet they could afford some land there.

10 inversion floorless is nuts eh? I guess you wouldnt ride any of my floorlesses on RCT3 that have 19 inversions.

BTW STOP WHINING ABOUT THE LOG FLUME!!!!!! It will not come back so get used to it. Ride Snake River Falls and THunder Canyon then go to Castaway Bay and Saok City.
-Chase

Planned trips for 2008:
Hershey Park
Favorite Park: Busch Gardens Europe
Favorite Coaster: Millennium Force
Coaster Count: 66
Park Count: 14
KD 4, BGE 5, Carowinds 2, USF 1, MBP 2, HP 1, IOA 1, CP 3, Dollywood 1 Family Kingdom 1 SFFT 1 Kemah Boardwalk 1 SFA 1

Posted Image
Yes I am a BGE fanboy. :)

#22 LMB

LMB

Kiddie Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:19 PM

What I think is that DD will get moved to maybe a Paramount Park and then they will remove all that DT stuff. Its just a biiiig waist of space. It would create a lot of room for something good. Maybe bring more guests to that area with maXair and WT.

#23 shotgun_mario

shotgun_mario

Mega-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

sorry, but I have to disagree with you BIG TIME on the Disaster Transport removal of scenery. Sure, it may not be all that good, but it is the only dark ride Cedar Point has, and dark rides were something that many classic amusement parks had/have, and as far as it looks, Cedar Point is try to push the limits of technology, yet keep a very traditional look and feel to the Main Midway.
Posted Image

#24 KingdaKa22

KingdaKa22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

10 inversion floorless is nuts eh? I guess you wouldnt ride any of my floorlesses on RCT3 that have 19 inversions.

BTW STOP WHINING ABOUT THE LOG FLUME!!!!!! It will not come back so get used to it. Ride Snake River Falls and THunder Canyon then go to Castaway Bay and Saok City.

No, when I said it would be nuts, I meant it would be really cool. I think that kind would be really fun.

#25 GADVFREAK99

GADVFREAK99

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:13 AM

They really can fit anything in that area. I just came back from CP like yesterday and I saw that area and their is no way they could build a coaster their unless it is very small.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cedar Point, Gatekeeper, 2013, B&M, Wing Rider

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users