• This topic is locked This topic is locked
886 replies to this topic

#876 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

I think CP has once again gotten lucky that this wasn't worse. Pics from last night:

@COASTERnet: “@wkyc: Photos from a CP guest who was on Skyhawk with his two kids when the cable broke: http://t.co/VxIU4Y79Os http://t.co/3TCmyu9EoD

Editor in Chief for COASTER-net

Coaster Count: 300

Top 5 Steel: Raptor, Maverick, Sky Rush, Iron Rattler, Millennium Force

Top 5 Wood: Voyage, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, Prowler

Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa, Knotts Berry Farm

#877 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

So the cable broke towards the top. If I'm looking at this correctly it looks like a static cable used for stability. If that's correct this is just a freak incident since the cable shouldn't be experiencing motions from the drive cable. I'm also not sure how much stress is actually put on those cables during each ride cycle. Maybe one of our engineering friends can analyze these and paint a better picture of how these cables are used.

Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa, Knotts Berry Farm

#878 CFGuy

CFGuy

Giga-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, it wasn't the drive cable as I pointed out yesterday. So many of the people on FB demanding to "tear it down" think the two incidents are related when, in reality, it was two different aspects of the ride. 

The reason the ride didn't stop immediately during the e-stop is because a sudden stop would've caused the cable to whip around even more, causing more damage and potentially more serious injuries. Gravity stopped the ride.

Totally unrelated to last year's incident and it will definitely be looked into. Very freak and just a stability wire. Still heavy and can still be dangerous. It usually doesn't face tons of stress, but it does face some. And, just like other ride parts, are subject to possible issues.

Edited by CFGuy, 27 July 2014 - 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

#879 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Elders
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

I think absolutely no knowledge or consideration goes into Facebook comments in general.  Therefore, I don't think those who comment would care to know the difference.  They would still cry "tear it down" no matter how much they knew. 

I'm glad this wasn't worse as it could have been.  It seems it was handled properly.  Several of the notable accidents in the past 10-15 years have had to do with flying cables.  Part of innovation means you have to deal with failure within innovation.  I'm not saying SkyHawk is a failure.  I'm pointing to the obvious that some of its technology failed.

2013 Agenda: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood, and Dollywood's Splash Country.
2014 Agenda: Kings Island, Beech Bend, and Dollywood. 

2015 Agenda Speculation: Carowinds and Holiday World and Splashin' Safari.
Coaster Count: 136 - Griffon Count: 52

#880 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

So Skyhawk is being worked on tonight. I guess Dorney won't be getting a Screamin Swing.

#881 Danny Miller

Danny Miller

Peta-Coaster Member

• Assistant Admininstrator
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

A larger one that is.

Top 5 Steel: Manta - Apollo's ChariotBizarro - Maverick Skyrush
Top 5 Wood: VoyagePhoenixBoulder Dash - Gold Striker - Thunderhead

Park Count: 71
Coaster Count: 399

#882 vogelr3359

vogelr3359

Intermediate Coaster Member

• Junior Staff
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

I feel very sorry for those people on that swing, and my heart goes out to the crew who had taken control of the situation best they could. Its already been said but I will say it once more, it could have been a lot lot worse. 

#883 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

So there's a bunch of rumors swirling around and I think many are true....just not for next year. As stated before the march to 2020 for the parks 150th anniversary is going to be exciting. Here's a few things that I think will happen:
1. Challenge park being broken up. I've been told ripcord would move to the front if the park where the Point Pavilions are currently. Skyscraper would move to another park (maybe KD) and the go karts would razed and maybe moved for parts elsewhere. The golf courses would also probably be razed. This would allow for a pretty large expansion of the waterpark possibly where the golf course currently stands...if not then on the flip side of Magnum. I'm pretty certain this will come to pass as Soak City is very small and they haven't done a major expansion in well over a decade.
2. A dark ride. This will happen because it's the one glaring hole in the CP lineup.
3. Mean streak being iron horsed. If this happens I expect it in 2016 for the rides 25th anniversary
4. A wood kiddie coaster. I'm thinking something along the lines of roar-o-Saurus or wooden warrior is a perfect fit for the park. Many will say a massive gci would be better, but I question where one could be placed and be effective. I think a smaller gravity kraft would fill the void of an intermediate coaster for younger guests. From all reports roar-o-Saurus is on par with much larger rides satisfying coaster lovers as well. My best bet would be this would go on the eastern end of planet snoopy running generally parallel to wicked twister
5. One major flat ride installation. No idea about specifics here but I'm sure there will be something.
6. A massive coaster

The only problem is I'm not sure when these things will occur. My best guess is as follows:
2015 - dark ride (probably a coaster like guardian)
2016 - iron horse of mean streak
2017 - water park expansion
2018 - gravity kraft wood coaster
2019 - flat ride
2020- massive coaster for 150th also would be 20th coaster in 2020 ( before you ask they count pipe scream on all releases as 17)

#884 CFGuy

CFGuy

Giga-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Skyhawk has opened one side of the ride.

Andrew, you've made some very good points and those rumors have been floating around. I want to seriously thank you for not posting about that "Mantis becoming a floorless" rumor that everyone on the fansites swears will happen this year  :lol:

1. I think Challenge Park being broken up may not be too bad of an idea. The Go-Karts are already slated to come out (and take a look at all the other Cedar Fair parks that have recently removed theirs (Carowinds, Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair etc...), RipCord & Skyscraper could easily be relocated within the park.The idea behind it was, people could come to Challenge Park to pay extra to ride the rides without paying admission (a good way to turn additional revenue). However, I think SlingShot shows that they would now prefer to have the upcharge rides within the park where they are subject to higher foot traffic. SkyScraper can fit pretty much anywhere. RipCord would be a harder fit. While I doubt it will be going into the Point Pavilion area, razing the old Oceana Stadium and putting RipCord there would be awesome. Flying right by the lake. This could lead to expansion room for both the park & Soak City (knowing that Soak City needs it).

2. Dark Ride: As you stated, we know it's going to happen. The rumor has been around for awhile, and with CW testing the waters, we know similar rides will be unrolled elsewhere. Maybe not the same effects, layout, etc...but similar technology will be employed. A lot of the clues for this year including "Afraid of the dark" and mentioning of the Pirate Ride (talking like a pirate etc...) could point to a dark ride. I'm fairly positive that Knott's new ride next year will be a dark ride (Kingdom of the Dinosaurs is completely gutted and they have been working on that building for quite some time now), so the question is if the chain will install two dark rides in one season. Certainly not out of the question, every major park got WindSeeker'd in 2011 (but that was under different management)

3. Mean Streak Iron Horsed: I just don't see this happening. While I would love it to, I just don't see it. Would love to be proved wrong :)

4. A wooden kiddie coaster is definitely needed and would be awesome.

5 & 6: Well, we know these will happen, only question is when.

We know that next year will be a thrill ride geared towards teenagers & thrillsters. There are lots of markings near Blue Streak and Raptor running from the bathrooms near there, to the pavilion over to the PR Building, Pirate Ride Building & into the car ride. There are even markings outside the gate near perimeter road near Blue Streak. Fear Faire isn't returning for HalloWeekends this year, which could point to Point Pavilion being taken out or at least construction occurring. Of course, it could be a simple upgrade to an outdated pavilion area.

There has been a rumored coaster addition going in back there for quite some time, but I'd love to see a dark ride go in there. Use the old Pirate Ride building and build another building to house an indoor queue & attraction. Canada's Wonderland had it made, the mountain was already there, the other parks will have to build buildings and I'm sure no one wants a Disaster Transport box sitting there. I, for some reason, think a Western themed dark ride back in Mean Streak's infield would be pretty awesome  :hunter:

Posted Image

#885 mrceagle

mrceagle

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Those are some interesting rumors.

After all the attention parks like Quassy and Story land have gotten form there Gravity group family coasters I think it woudl be a nice addition.

#886 Tyler M

Tyler M

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Junior Staff
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

I think the removal of Challenge Park for a Soak City expansion would be great for the park. Every time I go to CP during the summer, I never really see too many people on the Challenge Park attractions. I'm sure expanding SC would be best for the park.

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

#887 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Ive also noticed that the whole north wing of the hotel (Bon Aire section) is being demolished with the hotel upgrade this off season.  If the mini-golf cources are destroyed and something built in its stead (ride or Soak City) I think there would still be plenty of room separating the hotel from the attraction.  My concern was that youd have water slides or a ride feet away from the hotel window which could present issues.  Now with the section being demolished, those are no longer valid.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cedar Point, Gatekeeper, 2013, B&M, Wing Rider

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users