• This topic is locked This topic is locked
878 replies to this topic

#876 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,265 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 PM

I think CP has once again gotten lucky that this wasn't worse. Pics from last night:

@COASTERnet: “@wkyc: Photos from a CP guest who was on Skyhawk with his two kids when the cable broke: http://t.co/VxIU4Y79Os http://t.co/3TCmyu9EoD

Editor in Chief for COASTER-net

Coaster Count: 300

Top 5 Steel: Raptor, Maverick, Sky Rush, Iron Rattler, Banshee

Top 5 Wood: Voyage, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, Prowler

Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa, Knotts Berry Farm

#877 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,265 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 PM

So the cable broke towards the top. If I'm looking at this correctly it looks like a static cable used for stability. If that's correct this is just a freak incident since the cable shouldn't be experiencing motions from the drive cable. I'm also not sure how much stress is actually put on those cables during each ride cycle. Maybe one of our engineering friends can analyze these and paint a better picture of how these cables are used.

Editor in Chief for COASTER-net

Coaster Count: 300

Top 5 Steel: Raptor, Maverick, Sky Rush, Iron Rattler, Banshee

Top 5 Wood: Voyage, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, Prowler

Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa, Knotts Berry Farm

#878 CFGuy

CFGuy

Giga-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:54 PM

Yeah, it wasn't the drive cable as I pointed out yesterday. So many of the people on FB demanding to "tear it down" think the two incidents are related when, in reality, it was two different aspects of the ride. 

The reason the ride didn't stop immediately during the e-stop is because a sudden stop would've caused the cable to whip around even more, causing more damage and potentially more serious injuries. Gravity stopped the ride.

Totally unrelated to last year's incident and it will definitely be looked into. Very freak and just a stability wire. Still heavy and can still be dangerous. It usually doesn't face tons of stress, but it does face some. And, just like other ride parts, are subject to possible issues.

Edited by CFGuy, Yesterday, 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

#879 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Elders
  • 1,922 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:12 PM

I think absolutely no knowledge or consideration goes into Facebook comments in general.  Therefore, I don't think those who comment would care to know the difference.  They would still cry "tear it down" no matter how much they knew. 

I'm glad this wasn't worse as it could have been.  It seems it was handled properly.  Several of the notable accidents in the past 10-15 years have had to do with flying cables.  Part of innovation means you have to deal with failure within innovation.  I'm not saying SkyHawk is a failure.  I'm pointing to the obvious that some of its technology failed.

2013 Agenda: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood, and Dollywood's Splash Country.
2014 Agenda: Kings Island, Beech Bend, and Dollywood. 

2015 Agenda Speculation: Carowinds and Holiday World and Splashin' Safari.
Coaster Count: 136 - Griffon Count: 52

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cedar Point, Gatekeeper, 2013, B&M, Wing Rider

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users