Mantis is becoming Rougarou...a floorless coaster for 2015

Posted Image

#927 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

Well Ill ride it more so I guess thats a good thing.  The station looks like it'll stay the same if thats accurate.

Editor in Chief for COASTER-net

Coaster Count: 300

Top 5 Steel: Raptor, Maverick, Sky Rush, Iron Rattler, Millennium Force

Top 5 Wood: Voyage, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, Prowler

Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa, Knotts Berry Farm

#928 mrceagle

mrceagle

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

I don't think you will be seeing a lot of money put into this project past the trains.

#929 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Elders
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Doesn't look like a major investment, but I like it overall.  Orange is one of the major colors missing in their lineup.  Well technique Magnum XL-200 is a 'red-orange' but you wouldn't know it.  The support color is awesome in my opinion and the lime green trains will look good.  Interesting that these looks like the more traditional floorless trains with the regular OTSR's, meaning this will be one of the first sets of B&M trains in recent years to not use the new OTS vest system. 

I kind of wish the track was a two-tone scheme like Mantis and Fury 325.  The name is decent but the logo looks great!  I'm really excited to ride a stand-up layout with the floorless trains.  I always had wish some of the stand-up layout elements would have crossed over to the floorless designs but many never did.

I like it, because while this isn't a major investment, it is a major upgrade.  I'll take a B&M Floorless over a B&M Stand-Up any day.

Attached File  Screen shot 2014-09-18 at 6.32.39 PM.png   1.44MB   0 downloads

2013 Agenda: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood, and Dollywood's Splash Country.
2014 Agenda: Kings Island, Beech Bend, and Dollywood. 

2015 Agenda Speculation: Carowinds and Holiday World and Splashin' Safari.
Coaster Count: 136 - Griffon Count: 52

#930 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

I too was surprised by the otsrs for a few reasons.  First it would have made this ride experience a lot better especially if they were unlocked.  I'd love to do that vertical loop with the vests.  Second, it would have provided extra weight to the train.  Many have stated that the floorless trains are just too light and develop a "rattle" over time.  I was talking with Danny and there are now very few that dont suffer from it.  Third, you would have been able to lower the height requirement to 52" from 54".  The park needs some of these big rides to come down a bit to be able to attract a wider fan base even if only by a slight margin.

On the flipside, Ive heard that the new restraints create a wider train which requires a different gage of track.  Not sure if thats true or just enthusiat speculation (you know like that heartline that couldnt be overcome to change standups to sitdowns?).  If its not that, it could just be the B&M doesnt want to invest heavily in the floorless or sitdown (with inversions) style of car.  This makes me sad because I think its a market ripe for explotation.  I loved Wildfire and many others love Hulk.  I wish we could see more than 5 of the non-floorless styles of coasters with the new vests. 

Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa, Knotts Berry Farm

#931 mrceagle

mrceagle

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

While it's cheap compared to a new coaster of it's size the park will likely still be investing upwards 3 million to do this. 3 new trains. modifying the station. the drop away floor, new paint.

Does it state somewhere the trains will be the old style or are you simply going by the animation. At times animation simply uses what they have on file to save time on money. We may still see the newer restraints.

#932 Dwain Sponseller

Dwain Sponseller

Giga-Coaster Member

• Assistant Admininstrator
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Are there any Floorless coasters from B&M that are no longer in working order that they could have purchased the trains from?  Maybe we won't be seeing new trains at all.

#933 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

While it's cheap compared to a new coaster of it's size the park will likely still be investing upwards 3 million to do this. 3 new trains. modifying the station. the drop away floor, new paint.

Does it state somewhere the trains will be the old style or are you simply going by the animation. At times animation simply uses what they have on file to save time on money. We may still see the newer restraints.

Rougarou has already been slated to be 54".  Between that and the animation I think the odds favor it being the old style OTSR.

Are there any Floorless coasters from B&M that are no longer in working order that they could have purchased the trains from?  Maybe we won't be seeing new trains at all.

CF only has two floorless coasters.  Dominator runs 3 trains, Hydra runs 2.  Theres no way (unless they buy from another park) to get used trains without seriously disrupting the operations of those other rides.

#934 Tyler M

Tyler M

• Junior Staff
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

I'm quite happy about this transformation. While I haven't been on a floorless coaster yet and I've heard they are nothing to go crazy for, I still want to ride one but there haven't been any that close to me. I remember the first time I rode Mantis and I got off thinking, "this layout would be neat if it used sit-down or floorless trains." The standup trains were uncomfortable for me as they are for a lot of people so hopefully this will provide a better and smoother ride.

My Top 5 Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force 4. Dragon Challenge (Fireball) 5. Diamondback
My Top 5 Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Goliath 3. The Beast 4. American Eagle (Red) 5. American Thunder

#935 mrceagle

mrceagle

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Rougarou has already been slated to be 54".  Between that and the animation I think the odds favor it being the old style OTSR.

that does make sense. Only other reason to keep it up would be fore crowd control.

I'm quite happy about this transformation. While I haven't been on a floorless coaster yet and I've heard they are nothing to go crazy for, I still want to ride one but there haven't been any that close to me. I remember the first time I rode Mantis and I got off thinking, "this layout would be neat if it used sit-down or floorless trains." The standup trains were uncomfortable for me as they are for a lot of people so hopefully this will provide a better and smoother ride.

Floorless coasters are fun. They are not a world different from a sit down but they are a lot more open. There is no car around the seats so you get a much more free feeling. The open floor also gives you a stronger sense of speed.

Edited by mrceagle, 21 September 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#936 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

While I'm not a fan of marketing this as a new ride, I do like that they're choosing to invest in and improve one of their older coasters and giving it a second life. Should also increase throughput going from stand-ups to floorless. Side note - I wonder how much it costs to install that floor?

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 124 

#937 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

• Elders
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

I don't mind them marketing this as a new ride, because this is essentially a completely new experience.  They make it plain that the track layout isn't changing, just the name, paint scheme, and rolling stock.  Going from stand-up to floorless rolling stock in my opinion is much more drastic than adding on-board audio but leaving the seating the same like Six Flags did with Bizarro.

I love the deep teal on the support that we've seen already.  I'll be interested what the final orange looks like.  I wouldn't have put these two colors together, but we'll see how the final product looks.  I love they did full on animation for this.

I thought this exact same thing when I got off.  I wished it had floorless trains, because I love the layout but I felt like I wouldn't enjoy it because of the stand-up trains.

2013 Agenda: Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Dollywood, and Dollywood's Splash Country.
2014 Agenda: Kings Island, Beech Bend, and Dollywood. 

2015 Agenda Speculation: Carowinds and Holiday World and Splashin' Safari.
Coaster Count: 136 - Griffon Count: 52

#938 Danny Miller

Danny Miller

Peta-Coaster Member

• Assistant Admininstrator
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

To be fair, aside from Banshee, only the wing coasters have the new vests. Both of the newer floorless coasters (Hair Raiser in 2011, Nitro in 2013) had regular OTSRs.

Frankly, I've found the older restraints to be more accommodating to large people, but are less comfortable IF the ride isn't smooth.  

Top 5 Steel: Manta - Apollo's ChariotBizarro - Maverick Skyrush
Top 5 Wood: VoyagePhoenixBoulder Dash - Gold Striker - Thunderhead

Park Count: 71
Coaster Count: 399

#939 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:46 PM

The teal looks really good and is slightly metallic which gives a nice shine in the sun.  Got a few peeks at the orange and Im not sold on it especially with the orangish Iron Dragon right next to it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cedar Point, Gatekeeper, 2013, B&M, Wing Rider

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users