988 replies to this topic

#976 mrchester

mrchester

Family Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

Maybe it is true and the cost has come down, but griffon is 7 I think? Basically the extra immelman loop cost 2 million just a year later. What is described it significantly more for less.

Shiekra has four trains is it the same for griffon? I have not visited bgw yet. Maybe CP will only get two trains, I could see those as being a decent cost each.

#977 Daniel Westfall

Daniel Westfall

President

• Admin
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

Griffon was built to be floorless where Sheikra was not....additional money was spent afterwards to make Sheikra floorless which has essentially made them equal in price, but that's not reflected in the original cost.

High School and College (Undergraduate) Mathematics Tutor
Book an appointment with me today or get more information by visiting http://mathematicstutoring.weebly.com
We accept PayPal, MasterCard, VISA, Discover and Debit Cards

#978 mrchester

mrchester

Family Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

So maybe the different trains cover the cost gap? Perhaps it is as simple as the r&d costs of dive coasters have been covered and it drops the price b&m quotes now. However the dive coaster being built in the Netherlands, baron 1898, costs over 21 million. This ride looks smaller than griffon and shiekra but with more scenery for themeing. Not sure how that all factors in. I hope this rumor is true as the dive coaster is such a great idea, I'd love to see more variety of track layout at more park in general.

#979 Steven Linn

Steven Linn

Kilo-Coaster Member

• COASTER-net Staff
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Some more rumored info:
223 feet tall. 3625 long. 80 mph. 8 seat rows. Drop into tunnel. Four inversions: two Immelmann, roll, and unspecified "loop"

Where did this information come from?  

I too think a splashdown would be really cool.  After thinking about it, I think it would have been really cool to have a splashdown on Gatekeeper.

#980 Daniel Westfall

Daniel Westfall

President

• Admin
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

The information came from a "leak" in the Sandusky Register (who of course didn't cite their source).

Book an appointment with me today or get more information by visiting http://mathematicstutoring.weebly.com

#981 mrceagle

mrceagle

Peta-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Lets not forget they just built a B&M coaster at CP and a slew of coasters around the chain. I woudl imagine B&M woudl be happy to give a discount on a barley sold model.  Keep in mind ground work also plays a part in coasts. their are plenty of possible reason why the price is good but I think they simple make a great deal with the company and that's why we have seen so many addition company wide.

#982 Steven Linn

Steven Linn

Kilo-Coaster Member

• COASTER-net Staff
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

The information came from a "leak" in the Sandusky Register (who of course didn't cite their source).

I read the article. I must have missed the statistics listed in there.

#983 Daniel Westfall

Daniel Westfall

President

• Admin
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

There were two versions of the article...here's where people are getting the stats from:  http://www.sanduskyr...stivals/7372776

#984 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net Insane Member

• Elders
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

I'm assuming the reported cost is not accurate but rather a ballpark figure.  I'm assuming a Dive Machine of this size would cost at least $20 million.  Either that or the statistics are overblown.  Cedar Fair could be getting a discount considering they have gone exclusively with B&M lately, which I think is a great move considering their prior Intamin binge. 

I personally love Dive Machine, and if Cedar Point did build one of this magnitude I would be willing to make the trip back.  They certainly have the land to do it.  I'm wondering if this will be the beginning of a larger expansion that pushes into the old on-island apartments that Kinzel has stated he wants to get rid of.  I've also got to wonder what these trains are gonna look like.  Old restraints or new restraints, before everyone immediately assumes the old because of the 2015 Dive Machines, no Invert had new restraints until Cedar Fair did it with Banshee this past year.  Floorless would be the assumption.  I also have to wonder if this will at all tie into Rougarou, which looks and seems really out of place at the moment.

2014 Agenda: Kings Island, Dollywood, and Beech Bend. 
2015 Agenda: Luna Park at Coney Island and Carowinds.
Post-2015 Speculative Agenda: Dollywood, Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, Cedar Point, Silver Dollar City, Six Flags St. Louis, Worlds of Fun, Tayto Park, and Kolmarden.
Coaster Count: 136 - Griffon Count: 52

#985 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Chief Elder
  • 6,722 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

I could see CP going with the new style restraint on a DM - it makes the seats wider, but if they only go 8 wide, and use a train of Griffon's width, I could see that being doable. Being that far extended from the axis though, I've got to think that all banking transitions will be pretty mild considering the multiplication of forces to those outboard seats. I'm thinking a large loop, imelman, giant corkscrew, and a very stretched out inline roll (B&M seems to love those lately).

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Posted Image

Coaster Count - 155 

#986 steel-Rock

steel-Rock

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:00 AM

From what I have seen, they will stick with the normal sit-down restraints on Rougarou. But on the "new" B&M's, they have other designs (Banshee, GateKeeper, Thunderbird).   I wonder if they are going to go with these from now on. 

NO FEAR !!        Goliath (SFOG) Intimidator Millennium Force Leviathan Griffon
                                             Thunderhead  Lightning Racer  Phoenix  Viper  Prowler
PARK COUNT = 60            BGW  Cedar Point  Kings Dominion  SFGAM  Canada's Wonderland
RIDE COUNT = 380            Newsboys  Switchfoot  Thousand Foot Krutch  Bride  Chevelle

#987 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Ride Warrior

• Admin
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

Well it depends on how many models they plan to sell in the future.  I would imagine it would have to be in B&Ms interest to design/develop new trains.  I guess the park could order/pay for it but I'm not sure thats completely in their interest either.  With the amount of dive coasters being installed, you'd think it might be eligible.  However, the dive drop might put too much stress on the vests but thats just pure speculation on my part.

Editor in Chief for COASTER-net

Coaster Count: 301

Top 5 Steel: Maverick, Raptor, Sky Rush, Iron Rattler, Millennium Force

Top 5 Wood: Voyage, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, Prowler

Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa, Knotts Berry Farm

#988 mrchester

mrchester

Family Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

I found the normal over the shoulder restraints on floorless models to be comfortable, I think the main thing is the seat needs to be pitched back so your pelvis is pointed up slightly. On sit down and stand up where you are more perpendicular to the floor is when I feel head boxing on these rides. The new style vest restraints look nice but if it were three rows and you made it eight per row instead of ten you could be looking at a significant difference in riders per hour. I think your thought on development is right on, any change is going to represent a major  investment. The wing riders are a new style so it was worth the r&d, and banshee benefited from the r&d on flyers, which are basically inverts too.

#989 Dwain Sponseller

Dwain Sponseller

Giga-Coaster Member

• Assistant Admininstrator
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

Okay Cedar Point fans.... The ride gallery article for Rougarou is up for your viewing pleasure

ARTICLE

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users