• Please log in to reply
1005 replies to this topic

#1001 samnatcher

samnatcher

Kiddie Coaster Member

• Junior Staff
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

I guess I am one of the exceptions that I actually enjoy Mean Streak they way it is (but I also like Boss at SFStL lol). It seemed to be running so much better by the end of the year. Not saying I would be against the RMC treatment at all though. I think it could be transformed into an awesome creation if they proceeded with that project. If I had to guess, I would agree with Andy though, that any major project done to Mean Streak would after the anniversary.

As for Gemini, I would hate to see anything drastic changed on it, nor do I see that happening. With the revitalization done to the Gemini Midway, Gemini is still the centerpiece of that area. Its ridership was 5th for coasters last year, and its a fun coaster that most of family can enjoy together. That is the theme of that area, family fun, from Camp Snoopy to Pipe Scream, Monster & LE Eagles.

Favorite Parks- Cedar Point-Kings Island-Six Flags St Louis-Knoebels-Kennywood
Favorite Steel- Millennium Force-Banshee-Phantoms Revenge-Maverick-Top Thrill Dragster
Favorite Wooden- Phoenix-Thunderbolt-Beast-Boss (I like it rough lol)-Twister

#1002 steel-Rock

steel-Rock

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Stanard Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

No one makes a one-size-fits-all OTSR. I am taller than normal, so it is the shoulder part that makes contact and hurts on some. However, I don't even remember feeling them on Avatar Airbender, Volcano, and Wicked Twister. After looking at the colors, it seems that your picture could have been taken on Fahrenheit or Kingda Ka, two other good rides that have restraints that were not a problem.
NO FEAR !!        Goliath (SFOG) Intimidator Millennium Force Leviathan Griffon
                                             Thunderhead  Lightning Racer  Phoenix  Viper  Prowler
PARK COUNT = 60            BGW  Cedar Point  Kings Dominion  SFGAM  Canada's Wonderland
RIDE COUNT = 380            Newsboys  Switchfoot  Thousand Foot Krutch  Bride  Chevelle

#1003 mrchester

mrchester

Kilo-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

You are right the picture is for kingda ka, I have not ridden volcano or wicked twister but I have been on possessed at dorney. The suspended chassis had a different style restraint more like arrow used to have. The vest style restraints on i305 do look comfortable.

Top Ten: El Toro, Kingda Ka, X2, Nitro, ShieKra, Tastu, Montu, Storm Runner, Goliath (SFMM), & Talon: Grip of Fear

nitro.jpg

#1004 Danny Miller

Danny Miller

Peta-Coaster Member

• Assistant Admininstrator
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

Yea Gemini is certainly a great "tweener" coaster for kids and adults. It's a good transition coaster and I don't think a whole lot of people really complain about that one too much. I've had good rides on Mean Streak, but it's not run well enough consistently for me to say it's REALLY worth keeping as is. I considered maybe talking about a topper track redo, but I think that would be too hard to market as a new ride unless they did a drastic layout change like they would with Iron Horse track.

Top 5 Steel: Manta - Apollo's ChariotBizarro - Maverick Skyrush
Top 5 Wood: VoyagePhoenixBoulder Dash - Gold Striker - Thunderhead

Park Count: 73
Coaster Count: 404

#1005 steel-Rock

steel-Rock

COASTER-net Dedicated Member

• Stanard Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

I keep hearing of more flat rides being moved or taken out. It sure seems like something big is going in one area.

The "fixing" of Mean Streak is easy.  It has been trimmed to death. Simply take them off.  On the other hand, they were probably put in for a good reason.  I suspect they thought that it was going too fast and was going to tear itself apart. 

NO FEAR !!        Goliath (SFOG) Intimidator Millennium Force Leviathan Griffon
                                             Thunderhead  Lightning Racer  Phoenix  Viper  Prowler
PARK COUNT = 60            BGW  Cedar Point  Kings Dominion  SFGAM  Canada's Wonderland
RIDE COUNT = 380            Newsboys  Switchfoot  Thousand Foot Krutch  Bride  Chevelle

#1006 CFGuy

CFGuy

Giga-Coaster Member

• Stanard Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

I recently watched Andrew & Danny's COASTER-net Uncut episode regarding the future of Cedar Point. I'm on the same page, I believe 2020 with be the 20th (as you stated, a thing with numbers).

We're already looking at 2015 with the Rougarou conversion and all the other park changes. While, no doubt, this cost some money, it still allows room in the budget plus the upcoming returns to spend on a big ride in 2016, 2018 and 2020 (which, if each of those is coasters, will make it to 20 seeing as the park counts Pipe Scream). We see that the park (and chain overall) is not afraid to make changes seeing as this conversion is taking place. While the skating show was popular, the theater had some structural issues and, seeing as it sits on prime real estate, it was a smarter idea to remove it Now we got that open land sitting there.

With that said, the moving of the rides that were there (and the removing of Turnpike Cars) shows that the area is being prepped for use soon and not way down the road (2020). I don't think that the park would do another renovation (a la RMC doing Mean Streak) immediately after the Mantis conversion. 

I think we'll see construction start during the season and an announcement in August regarding that leaked Dive Machine. That's a lot of room for a Dive Machine and there will still be room left after the construction. With the Cedars rumored to be removed following this season, there is tons of room. The coaster could be a major marketing tool for the park. Only the third Dive Machine in the US, first in the Midwest yada yada (what you'd come to expect to be listed). However, it would also set records like the only park with 5 coasters over 200 feet, tallest, longest, fastest, most inverted Dive Machine (etc....). However, correct me if I'm wrong....but at 223 feet, wouldn't it be the tallest coaster with inversions? Reaching 80 mph, wouldn't it be the fastest? I know I'm listing off random records, but you know they would claim it under the records list. I also believe, seeing as a "loop" was mentioned in the "leaked plans", with a speed of 80 miles per hour, it could definitely complete the worlds tallest loop! I'm not sure if they'll go for tallet inversion all together and take it from GateKeeper but I could see that record coming along. Sorry for rambling on about that, but you know that, if there's a record to be claimed after a coaster is built, Cedar Point will claim it.

The Dive Coaster would bring us to #18 (including Pipe Scream like the park does). Going into 2017, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Mean Streak renovation happen at this time. Mantis got more riders than Mean Streak did and that coaster ended up facing a renovation (which will not only improve ridership, but shorten the weight times with quicker dispatch AND three trains). So I think Mean Streak will face a redo. It'll probably get the Iron Horse treatment and become a great ride again. However, this would lower Cedar Point down to just one wooden coaster. I could also see a waterpark expansion occurring here and the rides that "survive" in challenge park (Might only be RipCord) being moved into the gates to get more people to ride them (SlingShot makes mad bank). SkyScraper may make the move but I think we'll be saying goodbye to mini-golf and the Go-Karts. The Go-Karts have been biting the dust at most of the other Cedar Fair parks and that Mini-Golf course isn't in the best shape!

In 2018, I could see that dark ride/coaster coming. It'll probably be the first coaster since Maverick that wasn't a B&M. However, this all depends on where it goes. I could see it NOT being a coaster if it went in in the Pirate Ride location and just expanded a bit. However, it also could be. At this point, I'll say it will be and it'll be in that area. Just thinking because, after Disaster Transport closed, they said they were "looking for a ride to fill that void". That could just mean a dark ride, but I took it as a dark ride/coaster combo. Take it as you will. That could bring us to #19.

In 2019, getting ready for the big year. I could see some new kiddie rides added to the kid areas. I so badly want to say that a B&M Family Coaster would appear, but that would make us reach #20 prematurely (if we really think the 20th will be in 2020).

2020 will be a big year. The parks 150th, Millennium Force will be turning 20 etc... Many speculate that this is the year that a big record breaker will be added. I, for some reason, feel like it'll be a wooden coaster. Get the wooden count back up to 2 and it celebrates the past while also embracing the future. Whether its a good GCI or a monster RMC, I just have a feeling the 20th will be a wooden coaster (as long as Mean Streak gets the conversion to steel. If it can be saved for wood, that'd be awesome, but that'd cost a lot more in the long run I believe wouldn't it?).

Anyway, just my speculation and, of course, these can happen in any order. But I am excited to see what the next 5 years will bring. I may be moving out of the area in the next year or so, but I will definitely be coming back to the park yearly. Heck, if the Dive Machine stuff ends up being true, I am excited for it! 

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users