1754 replies to this topic

#1526 Superbatbpy

Superbatbpy

Hyper-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Interesting that Kinzel wanted a B&M giga at CP, considering they originally wanted B&M for MF but B&M was reluctant to build 300ft and/or wanted to much money for the project at the time so they went with Intamin.

#1527 Waterparker

Waterparker

Strata-Coaster Member

• Annual Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:50 PM

I did a little bit of thinking today and something occurred to me about Cedar Point's Winter Chill Out a few years ago. Didn't the Public Relations Manager state that coasters was "In our DNA". What if the D represents a Dive coaster? It would make sense as they would try to make enthusiasts think about the future, and this might be the first clue. With the D being out of the way, this leaves the N and the A. The N could be a ploy on (i)Ndoor rollercoaster a la dark ride. This would co-align with various pleas for a new dark ride, which Cedar Fair has done before with Guardian up at Canada's Wonder Land. That leaves the last letter A, which I have yet to get down to a solid attraction. The first type that came to my mind was an Aqua coaster, but that wouldn't really make sense for me as it doesn't seem to be a park that would get an aqua coaster. That is, unless if Cedar Point puts in a water coaster instead which would make sense after a new drop box installation in the future as the Cedar Fair chain is getting a bulk purchase of White Waters and it would be highly probable that Cedar Point is up for the next installation in the near future. A could also mean an acceleration coaster, or something of the sort. It seems that launches are something that Cedar Point likes with the successes of Top Thrill Dragster and Maverick, it would be a possibility. There are still possibilities out there, but those are my conclusions coming out of the new Dive Coaster and I hope that you guys could develop more ideas from them.

Beast Universe, the unofficial fan page Twitter dedicated to The Beast!

Waterparker, the official Waterparker Twitter!

Slide Rankings: 1. Mammoth 2. Wildebeest 3. Slush Gusher 4. River Rush 5. Mountain Scream

Haunt Rankings: 1. Dent School House 2. Trail of Terror, KI 3. Slaughter House, KI

Coaster Rankings: TBD

#1528 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:43 AM

This isn't the latest image, but Valravn's Immelmann, lift, and first drop are complete.  The maneuver out of the Immelmann is shaped a bit differently than both Griffon and SheiKra.

Attached File  thumb_screenshot_2016-01-21-14-05-25.png   1.83MB   0 downloads

2016 Agenda: Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Belmont Park, Kentucky Kingdom, and Dollywood.

(Steel) 1. Kraken 2. Millennium Force 3. Apollo's Chariot 4. Diamondback 5. Maverick

(Wooden) 1. Thunderhead 2. Lightning Racer (Thunder) 3. Lightning Racer (Lightning) 4. El Toro 5. Beast
Coaster Count: 151 - Griffon Count: 52

#1529 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• Assistant Admininstrator
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

Latest update from the webcam 

Attached File  capture.jpg   154.57KB   2 downloads

This side of eternity is short - make the most of it.

Coaster Count - 165

#1530 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

Latest update from the webcam 

attachicon.gifcapture.jpg

Look how steep the exit of the Immelmann is.  That's also going to be one tightly banked ascent up to the MCBR.  I love how much this dwarfs Raptor and others.

2016 Agenda: Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Belmont Park, Kentucky Kingdom, and Dollywood.

(Steel) 1. Kraken 2. Millennium Force 3. Apollo's Chariot 4. Diamondback 5. Maverick

(Wooden) 1. Thunderhead 2. Lightning Racer (Thunder) 3. Lightning Racer (Lightning) 4. El Toro 5. Beast

#1531 CFGuy

CFGuy

Strata-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

It definitely is looking great. I agree with the compactness of those two elements that it may feel a bit more intense than on the already existing North American dive machines. I still think this is going to be a great ride despite what a lot of other enthusiasts are saying.

Add in the new castle theme that it will have in that area of the park and it'll be great. I'm excited to see just how much that theme will play in. Maybe they will add an eventual "drop under a castle tower" after the second drop a la the tunnel on SheiKra. 

Posted Image

#1532 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Co-Owner

• Admin
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

Im hoping for a return of Fear Faire for Haunt...it only makes sense now on that midway.

Editor in Chief for COASTER-net
Coaster Count: 391
Top 5 Steel: Raptor, Maverick, Sky Rush, Fury 325, X2
Top 5 Wood: Voyage, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, Prowler
Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Holiday World, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa

#1533 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

Attached File  thumb_image_860.jpeg   64.53KB   0 downloads

This though.

#1534 Bedholm

Bedholm

Mega-Coaster Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Even though Raptor looks so small it just pops my eyes seem to just gravitate towards Raptor. Raptor's new paint just looks so good.

Top 5 Steel: 1. Skyrush  2.Maverick 3. X2 4. Twisted Colossus 5. Iron Rattler
Top 5 Wood: 1. El Toro 2.  American Thunder 3. Prowler 4. Outlaw Run 5. Goliath(SFGAM)

#1 Intamin Fan

#1535 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Co-Owner

• Admin
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Just wait until the lights are on at night.

I started this debate on FB, but what are your thoughts on Raptor getting the new vest trains assuming it can be done. There's some debate on if the chassis is wider or just the hanging seat section. It's also questioned if the actual spine itself is different on the track. From povs it seems like there should be clearance throughout and it doesn't seem all that different in size of track. I'm also not asking for what you read on other sites because unless they have definitive proof of something being different.

Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure, Holiday World, Worlds of Fun, Busch Gardens Tampa

#1536 Bedholm

Bedholm

Mega-Coaster Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

I prefer the original B&M OTSRs so i wouldn't want Raptor to switch. I don't experience any headbanging or roughness on Raptor so getting a new chassis with new trains seems pointless to me. If CP decides getting new chassis for Raptor will I be pissed on but why fix the ride if its perfect the way it is.

Top 5 Steel: 1. Skyrush  2.Maverick 3. X2 4. Twisted Colossus 5. Iron Rattler
Top 5 Wood: 1. El Toro 2.  American Thunder 3. Prowler 4. Outlaw Run 5. Goliath(SFGAM)

#1 Intamin Fan

#1537 Superbatbpy

Superbatbpy

Hyper-Coaster Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:33 AM

I say keep Raptor as it is, there really isn't much headbanging. Mantis/Rougarou is the ride that needed the vests, made no sense why CP slapped those same thick OSTRs on Rou

#1538 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

I say keep Raptor as it is, there really isn't much headbanging. Mantis/Rougarou is the ride that needed the vests, made no sense why CP slapped those same thick OSTRs on Rou

That probably has to do with the track gauge.  The theory is that these vest restraint trains are wider and therefore may require a larger wheel assembly and/or track gauge to accommodate that.  You can't change the rolling stock if the rolling stock won't work on that track gauge.  Clearance could potentially be an issue as well.

#1539 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• 7,184 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:43 PM

This could be why the Incredible Hulk "renovation" essentially scrapped and re-built the entire coaster. The thought is that it will be switching to the new vest OSTRs and that a new wider gauge track was needed.

Coaster Count - 165

#1540 Prentendbox

Prentendbox

Family Coaster Member

• Annual Club Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

Were going to need to make a new CP 5 year plan!

http://www.sanduskyr...oming-down.html
Clearly it's going to be a 500 ft. coaster with 100 loops

#1541 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Co-Owner

• Admin
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

I'm little sad to see it go. It was the first ride I watched them build during the offseason and then it was the first First Rider auction I did. Thought it was terrible but it had a soft spot in my heart.

I also don't think this changes the 5 year plan because I feel like it's being removed due to the issues it has had. However it does give us a nice plot of land for that amazing 20th coaster in 2020 I've been talking about :)

#1542 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:53 AM

I too don't think this changes any kind of plan either. However, I hope they reuse the land for more than just seasonal activities (such Halloween Haunt). That seems to be a real thing now days.

This decision feels a lot like the decision to remove HyperSonic XLC. Personally, I thought Shoot the Rapids with great fit for the park upon the removal of the original flume for Maverick. It was well themed, in a great location, and was ascetically pleasing.

I did happen to ride Shoot the Rapids during my trip in 2010, and I really enjoyed it. This does leave a hole in the water ride department.

#1543 mrceagle

mrceagle

Poler-Coaster Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:34 AM

This news is a bit disappointing. While the park has a good coaster and Flat selection their water ride selection is a bit weak.

#1544 mrchester

mrchester

Strata-Coaster Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:32 AM

Maybe this makes room for an aquacoaster...

Top Ten: El Toro, Kingda Ka, Superman the Ride SFNE, Nitro, X2, SheiKra, Wicked Cyclone, Tatsu, Montu & Storm Runner

nitro.jpg

#1545 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Co-Owner

• Admin
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

which is what StR should have been in the first place.

I also don't get this "weak" water ride lineup.  They have a raft ride which is in line if not better than most.  Snake River Falls is still one of the tallest shoot the chutes style rides.  What do other parks have in addition to that?  A log flume?  But do those other parks still have the first two?  Lets be honest, water rides are a niche market anyway and the two they have provide the ability for people to get wet and walk around foolishly for the rest of the day :)

#1546 Dwain Sponseller

Dwain Sponseller

Giga-Coaster Member

• 471 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

I completely agree with Andy in the fact that every park has about the same series of water rides.  They only attract a certain type of guest and ridership.  I personally hate walking around wet.  Parks just need a flume or a StC adn then a nice river raft ride. The only thing that could make it a better genre of rides is more Water Coasters, but obviously that is not something that is "big" in the industry especially at Corporate Parks.

Coaster Count - 125

"May the Queue Lines Be Ever In Your Favor"

I do not rank coasters because there are many variables that affect every decision so I am not wasting my time

#1547 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• 7,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

Maybe this makes room for an aquacoaster...

Hahahaha!  I miss the old "It's gonna be an aqua coaster!!!" rumors we used to get every year. Great throwback Mr. Chester.

Coaster Count - 165

#1548 drachenfirebgw

drachenfirebgw

COASTER-net VIP Member

• Lifetime Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

I definitely don't think Shoot the Rapids should have been an Aquatrax... I can't stand that whole movement.

That and I enjoy good, well designed water ride that doesn't get you soaked. Such as a flume or a water coaster. Cedar Point has nothing that fits this description now. I also think Cedar Point could use another flume-like attraction now that Shoot the Rapids is a thing of the past. Especially considering Soak City is pretty weak compared to most water parks that are paired with amusement parks.

This also pretty much dooms Intamin's attempt to break into the water ride/flume market. They've had numerous fail to live up to their investment in recent years.

#1549 Ryan Shrout

Ryan Shrout

Thrill Ride Fanatic

• 7,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

All parks need a true flume ride in my opinion. This really will be a hole in Cedar Points otherwise overfilled line-up.

Coaster Count - 165

#1550 Andrew Rybarczyk

Andrew Rybarczyk

Co-Owner

• Admin
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

StR always soaked people as well.  They haven't had a "splash" water ride since White Water Landing closed.  The new flumes over in Europe right now look amazing.  I have no problem adding some coaster elements to a flume type ride to spice it up a bit (and make it fit into CP's coaster collection).  I think you might even be able to add some interactive dark ride elements.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cedar Point, Gatekeeper, 2013, B&M, Wing Rider

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users